American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity how did you dry-hop this batch? I typically use pellets in a very fine mesh bag (Wilser) and even when fining with gelatin it would be weeks before my beer would get that clear.

Another update.... My SWMBO has never liked any IPA she's tried. Can't stand them. Every taste always ends with a "ayack"!

She loved this beer! Said it tasted a bit like grapefruit but without the sharp bitterness.

[emoji57]

Anyone try subbing any of the following hops for the Warrior (bittering) addition?
  • Comet
    [*]Apollo

I have these 2 hops right now.

Would one of these be interesting/good or should I just run to LHBS and get the Warriors? LHBS is only 15 min away, but if one of the hops I have would likely produce pleasantly interesting flavors I would like to try it!

I also have some El Dorado, that I would like to try out on a recipe like this as a flavoring/aroma addition, (something about it tells me it would be good with the Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt) but perhaps I will save that for the next iteration of this recipe and get a more "normal" one under my belt.

I saw one guy on here played with El Dorado in this recipe, but never saw him report how it turned out. Anyone else tried in this recipe or have thoughts on how that would work? I have heard it pairs nicely with Simcoe/Amarillo!

Cheers,

Wooden

Diving back into brewing after a couple years off and starting with this! Our only changes will be using 1 lb of crisp amber malt instead of the 6 oz of Thomas Fawcett (not carried in our local supply store), and adding some extract near the end of the boil as needed to get a better OG, since we aren't terribly efficient. Looking forward to it!

Diving back into brewing after a couple years off and starting with this! Our only changes will be using 1 lb of crisp amber malt instead of the 6 oz of Thomas Fawcett (not carried in our local supply store), and adding some extract near the end of the boil as needed to get a better OG, since we aren't terribly efficient. Looking forward to it!

Be warned, if you're looking for an exact clone, that the Thomas Fawcett amber malt is key to the xx-minute malt flavour and overall balance of the beer.

Brewing went well, aside from a wort chiller leak and realizing our Irish moss had turned! Currently fermenting in our basement, but it's still about 76 degrees. What effect will this have on the beer? Hard to get it cool enough in the summer without central air!

This may be a stupid question but I'm having a hard time finding the Fawcett Amber Malt. Is Fawcett caramalt the same thing? Suggestions??

Has anyone adjusted the grain bill to whirlpool and 180 deg steep for this beer?I just my first beer like this and I'm diggin the sweet hop taste on the lips.

Reviving this thread, brewed this today with my Grainfather
I scaled this recipe with Beersmith software to 6.50Gal version. I wanted a low ABV version so I adjusted the Gravity via BeerSmith (my last 3 batch was like 7.5%+ each :mug:)
It's now sitting in my 7gal SS Chronical BME @66F. Used 1.4pkg of US-05. Mashed @ 152F
I really don't know how it will turn...
Will update the result later.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.50
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

13lbs and 12oz 2-row (US)
8 ounces Thomas Fawcett amber malt.

.93 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes)
.62 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.62 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.68 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.35 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
1.3 Pkg of US05

Reviving this thread, brewed this today with my Grainfather
I scaled this recipe with Beersmith software to 6.50Gal version. I wanted a low ABV version so I adjusted the Gravity via BeerSmith (my last 3 batch was like 7.5%+ each :mug:)
It's now sitting in my 7gal SS Chronical BME @66F. Used 1.4pkg of US-05. Mashed @ 152F
I really don't know how it will turn...
Will update the result later.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.50
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

13lbs and 12oz 2-row (US)
8 ounces Thomas Fawcett amber malt.

.93 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes)
.62 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.62 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.68 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.35 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
1.3 Pkg of US05

------------

Kegged this beer 2 days ago (30 psi for the last 2 days then purged at 12 psi). Can't wait to get it carbed!

The only thing is that it finished to 1.007! not 1.010... I fermented at 66F for the first 4-5 days then raise to 70 until the end. (3 weeks in primary)

Will post pictures and result next week end

On a final note I "cheated" on the dry hop recipe, 1oz of Simcoe and 1.8oz of Amarillo

The beer is now carbed. I can definitely taste the warrior bitterness shining from the beginning until the end and this beer have a great malty taste/flavor.

Since I never taste the original Dogfish Head 60, I must say that I'm a bit disappointed that the Amarillo and Simcoe flavor are not really there. Maybe I did not throw enough Amarillo/Simcoe to get the flavor I expected OR maybe my hops was not enough fresh to shine? As I said, I never taste the original DFH60. Maybe I screwed with beersmith conversion...

Overall it's a good bitter/malty beer and I really love the taste of the warrior, I will definitely brew with this bitter hops very soon.

3b64d40ba2.jpg

I am curious to know if anyone has used Danstar's Windsor Ale yeast with this recipe or whether it would be a bad choice or not? The common theme I am getting from scanning this thread is that a lot of you are ending at too low a FG....Windsor Ale yeast is supposed to have low to medium attenuation, just don't know if it will give off the wrong flavor profile?

I am curious to know if anyone has used Danstar's Windsor Ale yeast with this recipe or whether it would be a bad choice or not? The common theme I am getting from scanning this thread is that a lot of you are ending at too low a FG....Windsor Ale yeast is supposed to have low to medium attenuation, just don't know if it will give off the wrong flavor profile?

Originally the recipe called for Ringwood Ale and the dry equivalent would be Windsor, so yes, go for it.

Coming out of the fermentor to be bottled and this tastes pretty darn good. I didn't get Thomas Fawcett Amber, I had to settle for whatever my LHBS had but all good nonetheless.

I used Windsor Ale Yeast and it finished @ 1.026...I will mash a little lower next time. OG was 1.073 so it came in right where it needs to be ABV wise @ 6.2%

DFH60-5.jpg

DFH60-3.jpg

Brewed this last weekend. Took a while to finish fermentation--almost 8 days which is the longest I've ever had something go like that. Used S-05 instead of Pacman.

I'm expecting to dryhop in the keg. Any advice on doing that? The beer is sitting at 66 degrees right now (Fermchamber, that's what it's been all along). I could raise it to 71 or 72 to finish for a couple days, would that be helpful to this?

I don't brew IPAs much (as in, this is the first), and it's for a friend who "helped" during the brew day. He bought the ingredients, and we're making it for primarily his consumption.

I have a hop screen cylinder I'm going to use to dry hop--it's this one from NorCal brewing.

What i figured I'd do is rack the beer to keg, then dry hop for 3-5 days, pull the hop screen out (repurging of O2 when done), then crashing and serving shortly thereafter.

Anything in this that looks out of whack in these plans or that I should be looking out for?

Brewed this last weekend. Took a while to finish fermentation--almost 8 days which is the longest I've ever had something go like that. Used S-05 instead of Pacman.

I'm expecting to dryhop in the keg. Any advice on doing that? The beer is sitting at 66 degrees right now (Fermchamber, that's what it's been all along). I could raise it to 71 or 72 to finish for a couple days, would that be helpful to this?

I don't brew IPAs much (as in, this is the first), and it's for a friend who "helped" during the brew day. He bought the ingredients, and we're making it for primarily his consumption.

I have a hop screen cylinder I'm going to use to dry hop--it's this one from NorCal brewing.

What i figured I'd do is rack the beer to keg, then dry hop for 3-5 days, pull the hop screen out (repurging of O2 when done), then crashing and serving shortly thereafter.

Anything in this that looks out of whack in these plans or that I should be looking out for?

I would fill another keg with starsan then push it out will co2 and push the finished beer to it, or just leave the dry hops in the keg. Purging afterwards either way. Never had a problem with that myself.
Just me, but I get very obsessive with o2 and hoppy brews. It changes a brew fast. Pour a half pint of IPA, leave it in the fridge for a few hours/overnight and pour another half pint. Color gets darker and hops dissipate.

Just wanted to say I brewed this recently and it turned out fantastic! Best of my brews so far and was adored by fellow beer drinking friends. I added my hops at 2 minute intervals as shown in my recipe below. O.G. was 1.065 and finished at 1.017. I just put down another version of this last Monday, using 2-row instead of MO and just did the more conventional additons of hops at 60,15,5 and 0. Can't wait!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.84 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.84 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 11.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7.00 kg Bairds Maris Otter (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 97.4 %
0.19 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 2 2.6 %
12.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 18.2 IBUs
3.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 55.0 min Hop 4 4.4 IBUs
3.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 50.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
3.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 4.2 IBUs
3.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 9 2.3 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 1.4 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 2.0 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 12 1.3 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 13 1.8 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 14 1.1 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 15 1.6 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 16 -
2.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 17 0.9 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 18 1.3 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 19 0.7 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 20 1.0 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 21 0.4 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 22 0.5 IBUs
2.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60. Hop 23 0.2 IBUs
2.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 Hop 24 0.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 25 -
28.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 26 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 27 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: 01 - Kens BIAB 69c
Total Grain Weight: 7.19 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 33.44 l of water at 72.8 C 69.0 C 90 min

How did your version with the traditional hopping schedule turn out?

My take on this was brewed this morning. Missed my efficiency a bit, but overall a good attempt and happy with the results. Went with Palisade FWH and then Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial whirlpool at 170 for 30 mins and then the same for dry hopping planne. This has almost created a beer in and of itself, but thought I'd thank Yooper for the idea and original recipe.

jyUqMX6.jpg

Doesn't seem like a lot of hops til you put them all together...

Q5YEcsj.jpg

First runnings out of the kettle to fermenter. Had to grab a sample because it looked too good.

BNYb0as.jpg

Very happy with a sample after the hops and grub dropped. The colour is my favourite of all my batches so far.

This was my first time using my new base malt, Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale malt. That, combined with the Fawcett amber is fantastic. The DFH maltiness is there and the bitterness is in perfect balance. The fermentation process will likely change it a bit but I'm really happy with it so far.

Hi guys, I have wanted to do this brew for a year now and i'm finally getting to it this weekend! Little rusty as I haven't brewed for a year and I need some help. So I downloaded yoopers beersmith document and started from there. I want to do a 10 gallon batch of this. With my equipment I just batch sparge. I'm confused on the amount of water... on yoopers it says 4.18 gal mash in 60 min, then mash out 2.34 gallon 10 min, and then fly sparge with 1.86 gallon. Ends up with a set pre boil of 6.43

Now... I want to batch sparge. So how do I know what temp to do this at for batch sparge and how do I know how much water to use? Also, are people still doing the continuous hopping or is there another hop schedule for this now? Please help a newbie out, I really don't want to mess this one up, if I can make something remotely close to 60 min ipa i'd be in heaven!

Hi guys, I have wanted to do this brew for a year now and i'm finally getting to it this weekend! Little rusty as I haven't brewed for a year and I need some help. So I downloaded yoopers beersmith document and started from there. I want to do a 10 gallon batch of this. With my equipment I just batch sparge. I'm confused on the amount of water... on yoopers it says 4.18 gal mash in 60 min, then mash out 2.34 gallon 10 min, and then fly sparge with 1.86 gallon. Ends up with a set pre boil of 6.43

Now... I want to batch sparge. So how do I know what temp to do this at for batch sparge and how do I know how much water to use? Also, are people still doing the continuous hopping or is there another hop schedule for this now? Please help a newbie out, I really don't want to mess this one up, if I can make something remotely close to 60 min ipa i'd be in heaven!

Those aren't really instructions- that's what my Beersmith settings came out with.

Generally, mash in with 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. Measure what comes out, and then sparge with enough water to get up to your boil volume.

For a 10 gallon batch, you may need 13-14 gallons of water to start. Depending on your system.

This is what I do. Start with 14 gallons and youll be close to 11 gallon in the fermenter. If your a little shy just top off fermenter

22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 96.7 %
12.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 3.3 %

1.00 oz Warrior [18.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 34.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 2.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 3.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days

This is what I do. Start with 14 gallons and youll be close to 11 gallon in the fermenter. If your a little shy just top off fermenter

22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 96.7 %
12.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 3.3 %

1.00 oz Warrior [18.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 34.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 2.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 3.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days

So i'll end up with 14 gallon to boil then. What temps and how are you adding water to batch sparge? Also, my 12oz of other malt I ordered english maris otter melt for some reason, thought I read earlier in this post that it was what I was supposed to use. Now, beersmith is putting it at a pretty light color. I have caramel 10 here, should I use that instead?

So i'll end up with 14 gallon to boil then. What temps and how are you adding water to batch sparge? Also, my 12oz of other malt I ordered english maris otter melt for some reason, thought I read earlier in this post that it was what I was supposed to use. Now, beersmith is putting it at a pretty light color. I have caramel 10 here, should I use that instead?
You start with 14 gallons strike water,youll have less water after grain absorption for the boil and even less after boil off.Youll end up around 11 gallons. I just add tap water to my fermenter to bring me up to my desired levels..I have good water though

The 12oz is supposed to be Fawcett Amber malt. Crystal 10 wouldn't be dark or toasty enough. The Fawcett Amber is pretty roasty. I used 8 oz in my 5 gal batch and it comes through nicely. I love this beer. A lot. My buddy asked me if it was a "commercial" craft beer. So if you can find some of that it fits. If you only have some crystal available, I'd be looking at the darker ones. And even then it's not the same.

Edit: Disregard my questions, I already brewed it. No extra hop additions, followed recipe exactly as it is in post #1.

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to homebrewing. I did a few Mr Beer kits around 5 years ago and recently bought a 5-gallon extract kit. I am prepping to do my second batch which is this DFH 60 clone.

My first batch was an amber ale kit that came with my brewing kit. The amber ale kit came with 6 lbs of liquid malt extract. This DFH kit calls for 9.5 and I wanted to make sure I am reading this correctly since it seems like a lot more LME for the same batch size.

For LME I went with the Superstructure from Northern Brewer, 3 x 3.15 lb cartons.

Please let me know if you think my ingredients look ok. Also bought a immersion chiller because the ice bath on my first batch was brutal, and I want to try to get clear beer. Speaking of clear beer, what do you guys think of Polyclar?

IMG_20170210_181848.jpg

I was planning on brewing as per the instructions doing a continuous addition of hops. I realize I will have around .75 oz of Warrior and 0.5 oz of Simcoe left over. Do you guys think it's safe to toss in a little extra into the boil or as a dry hop?

@Yooper, what is the water profile you use for this? I usually go with 55 chloride to 140 sulfate for american IPAs, but this is an East Coast IPA, right? Should i up the chloride for this one?

EDIT: Oh i just found in this thread you go 80 to 150. I will try that then :)

@Yooper, what is the water profile you use for this? I usually go with 55 chloride to 140 sulfate for american IPAs, but this is an East Coast IPA, right? Should i up the chloride for this one?

EDIT: Oh i just found in this thread you go 80 to 150. I will try that then :)

I've made only a few changes away from the original recipe for my "House IPA". I still use about the same water, as for some reason I don't enjoy this beer as much with a higher sulfate. I guess it's because there is no crystal in it, so it's already dry and when I upped the sulfate for a firmer bitterness, I didn't like it as much.

To make it my House IPA, I just added a few more hops and I usually do that at whirlpool. To simplify it, I just add the warrior at FWH, and then the amarillo/simcoe blend at 10 and 0 and whirlpool (and more of them). I still really love this beer, especially with those changes. I'm going to brew it again sometime this week.

I haven't read through all 2300-some posts in this thread, but are the directions and ingredients list for the extract recipe still accurate? Would I need to change anything if I did a full 5gal boil? What is the best yeast to use?

It's a nice beer, I promise! I still make it fairly often.
Its a great beer actually. I thought I read you were using more hops and later lately. I'm surprised. I tried the whole "late addition mega hop" craze and found I like the classic hop (mid boil) and "normal" amount better., I get to much vegal lawn grass flavor the newer way

First time brewing this beer, just tapped the keg. Thanks Yooper for an awesome beer! Mine came out to about 6.5%, couldn't be happier. Will definitely be brewing this again. I added my dry hops on day 4, left it in for about 7 days. Cold crashed for a couple days, tapped it on day 14.

Any thoughts on substituting something like 4 oz of Thomas Fawcett brown malt (I happen to have some leftover) for the 6 oz of amber malt in the original recipe?

Back