Dog name suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking on getting a dog and as the title says, I'm looking for name suggestions for dog. I'm sure we can come up with something.

Barley
Lager
Cascade
Simcoe
Fuggles
India
Goldy (for Goldings)
Trubby

I wanted to name my dog Barley soooooo bad, but it was when "Marley and Me" was out as a movie and it sounded like a sad rip-off of Marley. Plus, my kids were still living at home and thought it was "stupid". Which really is reason is enough for me to want to do it.

Barley
Lager
Cascade
Simcoe
Fuggles
India
Goldy (for Goldings)
Trubby

I wanted to name my dog Barley soooooo bad, but it was when "Marley and Me" was out as a movie and it sounded like a sad rip-off of Marley. Plus, my kids were still living at home and thought it was "stupid". Which really is reason is enough for me to want to do it.

See, this is what I'm looking for. Homebrewing related names. Thanks Yooper!!
Not that it really matters, but I'm looking to get a bigger dog, than a little dog. My son likes Barley. I'm looking at either a Lab or a German Sheppard.

Before you pick a name, you need to find a dog. Breed can greatly influence a name.

For instance, I don't think anyone would consider naming an English Bulldog Heinrich or Himmler. Lol!

Edit: Ahh... You updated! Still... Pick a dog first. Watch it for a day. Then pick a name...

Before you pick a name, you need to find a dog. Breed can greatly influence a name.

For instance, I don't think anyone would consider naming an English Bulldog Heinrich or Himmler. Lol!

Edit: Ahh... You updated! Still... Pick a dog first. Watch it for a day. Then pick a name...

I'm sure that will happen, but it's fun to hear everybody's suggestions. My last few dog names were, Sydney, Jumper and Brandy. Not a fan of Brandy. Sydney was such a great dog...

I like Barley. I suggested my mother in law name her kittens Barley and Hops and she actually did it, though it's a much better dog name IMO. Porter is another one with potential. Of course if you adopt they may come with a name like mine did. Otherwise she was going to be Ripley - greatest female sci-fi character EVER! :)

I like Barley. I suggested my mother in law name her kittens Barley and Hops and she actually did it, though it's a much better dog name IMO. Porter is another one with potential. Of course if you adopt they may come with a name like mine did. Otherwise she was going to be Ripley - greatest female sci-fi character EVER! :)

I love Porter for a black lab!

I think my dog looks like a Barley- a big goofy yellow lab. But I don't think it would fit so well for a German Shepherd- they need something more "dignified" I think.

here's Toby (who should have been Barley), in case you were wondering:
DSCF5863.jpg

I'm drinking an Augustiner right now. One of my favorite beers, but I can't work in that one. It would also be hard to call my dog Weihenstephaner.

I love Porter for a black lab!

I think my dog looks like a Barley- a big goofy yellow lab. But I don't think it would fit so well for a German Shepherd- they need something more "dignified" I think.

here's Toby (who should have been Barley), in case you were wondering:
View attachment 296937

GSD should have a German name imo. that's why when i get one in the future, i will name him Hans.

if it is a German Shepherd why not Dunkel?

I was going to say Dinkelbier but that would probably just turn into bingleberry.

Sgt. Malt
Cascade (can call them Cassie for short)
Wort
Scorch
AyBeeVee
Pils

...that's all I got...

GSD vs Lab is quite a different style of dog...
I love our Keeshond, but we also take care of my father-in-laws lab a lot and he's one of the calmest, sweetest dogs i know.

GSD vs Lab is quite a different style of dog...
I love our Keeshond, but we also take care of my father-in-laws lab a lot and he's one of the calmest, sweetest dogs i know.

Yes, that's true. I think we'll always have labs.

Toby is my fourth one. He gets along with absolutely everybody, man or beast. The grandkids tell him to "stay", and he's so submission he does. Nothing funnier than a 90 pound dog waiting for a 2-year-old to give him a command!

People come over with dogs, or cats, or kids, or just about anything, and he is absolutely calm and happy to see them. I would worry with other dogs, for sure. The mail lady is happy to see him, and he sits in my open Jeep greeting shoppers at the store. Kids, dogs, hamsters, cats, whatever- he wags his tail.

he's definitely NO watchdog though! He doesn't even bark at people. He wags his tail at everyone. If you want a watchdog, a lab probably won't do except their size could be intimidating. A German shepherd is much scarier and more protective, if that is your goal.

Latest posts

Back