Does Your Boss Know You Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No effing way duuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome....yeah, I'd fess up to being a homebrewer if I was you.;)

I THINK, at least...most you you would agree with me on this one..

Good luck, my friend....:mug:

I am shocked myself. I did it, or applied, really almost as a joke.

The brewery only has 8 people. I think the head brewer wants to size me up for industrial controls. I think he needs an industrial pro.

Funny thing, he knows the people in my homebrew club. In fact a few of his employees attend a couple times a year.

I opened a bottle of my French Saison as a lunch time treat! Pre-mature celebration!!

That is awesome. Congrats on the interview. Good luck. Don't pull a Landphil and drink a bunch of beers on the bottling line.

beerfestpubd.jpg

I need a bit of advice.

If you are interviewing for a job at a brewery and at the start of the interview they ask you if you want something to drink.

What do you do if you know its about a beer?

Is it a test?

If you say no, is it an insult?

What is the down side of saying Yes?

I AM REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT THIS!

I need a bit of advice.

If you are interviewing for a job at a brewery and at the start of the interview they ask you if you want something to drink.

What do you do if you know its about a beer?

Is it a test?

If you say no, is it an insult?

What is the down side of saying Yes?

I AM REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT THIS!

*Groan* :D

Answer 1, Say yes, and pull one of your homebrews out of your pants pocket and slug it back....let out a good burp, and hand the bottle to the guy and say, "you want some of this?"

Answer 2 Say yes , take a sip, and spit it out, saying "I can do better than this pondscum, you really MUST need my skill as an uber brewer."

Answer 3 Say yes and ask for a bud light lime.

Answer 4 enjoy the free beer, and ask intelligent questions about it, and their brewing process, and be prepared to talk about what you taste and perceive, because more than likely if they are offering it to you, that's the kinda of test it is, to gauge YOUR knowledge.

Answer 5 say "No thanks, the Devil's libation never passes these holy lips of mine."

Which do you think the REAL answer is. ;)

*Groan* :D

Answer 1, Say yes, and pull one of your homebrews out of your pants pocket and slug it back....let out a good burp, and hand the bottle to the guy and say, "you want some of this?"

Answer 2 Say yes , take a sip, and spit it out, saying "I can do better than this podscum, you really MUST need my skill as an uber brewer."

Answer 3 Say yes and ask for a bud light lime.

Answer 4 enjoy the free beer, and ask intelligent questions about it, and their brewing process, and be prepared to talk about what you taste and perceive, because more than likely if they are offering it to you, that's the kinda of test it is, to gauge YOUR knowledge.

Answer 5 say "No thanks, the Devil's libation never passes these holy lips of mine."

Which do you think the REAL answer is. ;)

Number 4!!

In fact, I told the head brewer on the phone interview that I bought a growler his IPA just last week.

I jokingly say this, but I would almost expect it when I get there. With 8 people working there....

....I think they might have it as a daily communion.

Number 4!!

In fact, I told the head brewer on the phone interview that I bought a growler his IPA just last week.

I jokingly say this, but I would almost expect it when I get there. With 8 people working there....

....I think they might have it as a daily communion.

You know....if you have a couple bottles of something you are proud of, you might wanna consider taking them with you...maybe give them to him AFTER the interview is over....Unless you had the guts to get a professional critique in front of you...(Kinda think that might be like my L&O experience)

You might be the only candidate to think of doing it, so you might stand out...

One of my sermons for one of the L&O's was called 5 smooth stones, and it was based around the stones that David put in his bag when he was going to fight Goliath, in my sermon each one represented a spiritual principle...And I had a shoulder bag that I had 5 stones with the principles written on it, and I would pull one out of the bag at a time...and the end I had these small plastic bags with smaller versions of the same stones, that I gave to each minister in my commitees. They loved it.

Wow, I go away for a couple of hours and you get a great interview. Glad to hear it.
I agree with number 4 At the local breweries around here, the brewers and other staff not busy can be seen walking around sipping on a pint.

That is awesome that you got the interview!! Congrats. I actually think the answer is number 3. Ask for something totally off the wall, wait for reaction, and then laugh. It will be an ice breaker and will get you past the notion that it might be a test. Although, I highly doubt that its a test. I would expect people that professionally work with beer 1) don't have a hang up about drinking one without getting drunk and 2) regularly sample it all stages for quality control. I also think you should bring some homebrew. I don't think it has to be as good or better than what they brew for it to be considered a positive. Pick out your favorites and offer them up. I would be prepared for the critique and try your best to explain/agree with any faults. They don't expect it to be perfect, but it would be good if you could identify its faults.

You are now the envy of everyone on this thread. Absolutely tell them you brew!! I hope you get the job, d**khead. No seriously, I'm praying for you that you get the job.

Just remember, drinking at the brewery isn't *drinking* at the brewery...it's Quality Assurance. :D

Old job - started brewing while I was there. Found out that one of my coworkers already brewed, my direct supervisor wanted to start brewing, and my boss did all grain. The boss gave me a bunch of home-grown cascades when they were ready because he was too busy to cure and brew with them.

Current job - wasn't ever advertised, local brewer I was friends with (member of this forum) gave me the heads up and I turned in a resume. During the interview joked with the boss about how my SWMBO (good naturedly) gives me a hard time about brewing, and it would be ironic if brewing got me a job. It did :D

Just remember, drinking at the brewery isn't *drinking* at the brewery...it's Quality Assurance. :D

I was not looking for a quality job however, if I was made the quality engineer I would institute the following;

Quality Tests with Statistical Significance - This requires a minimum of 25 samples taken for analysis.

All product must quality pass rigorous reproducibility & repeatability (R&R) tests. This testing usually requires 3 sets of 25.

This means at least 75 kegs of beer will need to be sampled. All sampling procedures will require 3 blind sampling methods so as to ensure no bias. Therefore an additional 9 kegs should be taken just to ensure some process variability.

After R&R tests are completed process repeatability will then be required.

For this test I will need 50 volunteers to ensure quality of the product is met. This means 4 hours of continuous beer production with 100% sampling rates will be required. No defects are allowed. If there is one failure or line stoppage we will need start all over. Tough as it sounds that's how it will be.

Any product made this during this time period will require proper disposal since its not passed the all of the quality testing.

If I get this job do I have any volunteers for product performance testing?

My boss knows, but I wouldn't list it as a hobby when looking for a job. Even if they aren't a teetotaler, they might think that you're going to come in hung over or drunk all the time, because you've always got beer going on. Much safer to establish a reputation as a good employee first, then let the cat out of the bag.

I dont know... I mean i have many hobbies, and not once have i been asked about my hobbies in an interview... all my jobs has that "we dont care about what you do outside of work as long as you work"... i am an HVAC tech and genral matience man while i work my way though school... i may actully see my boss about one day on the job in ten and i normally only ever see him if i hit the coffe pot after 10:30 in the morning, or if i have a question on somthing im asked to fix... basically if i dont think i should fix it because its unsafe... Oh and twice its been "Jack (not my real name), you've been working here (insert number of months required and number of satisfactory customer reports here) would you like a raise?".... and i have answer "yes, oh and by the way i have finals the week of (insert monday of finals week) is there anything we can work out about my time slots?"

Thats my relationship with my boss, its 14$ an hour and helps pay the rent... I dont think he would budge an inch if he knew i brewed, probably just ask if i had unfroze the pipes on elm street and fixed the three wall furnaces over at Old Oaks Condos before i went home and brewed the APA or what ever he sampled. To which i would reply "yes, boss.".... to which he would reply "good, i find you a floater (a job not assigned yet) while i draw you up a new job sheet"... ahhhh (sighs)... the reward for work well done is more work i suppose...

cheers

I was not looking for a quality job however, if I was made the quality engineer I would institute the following;

Quality Tests with Statistical Significance - This requires a minimum of 25 samples taken for analysis.

All product must quality pass rigorous reproducibility & repeatability (R&R) tests. This testing usually requires 3 sets of 25.

This means at least 75 kegs of beer will need to be sampled. All sampling procedures will require 3 blind sampling methods so as to ensure no bias. Therefore an additional 9 kegs should be taken just to ensure some process variability.

For this test I will need 50 volunteers to ensure quality of the product is met. This means 4 hours of continuous beer production with 100% sampling rates will be required. No defects are allowed. If there is one failure or line stoppage we will need start all over. Tough as it sounds that's how it will be.

Any product made this during this time period will require proper disposal since its not passed the all of the quality testing.

I will volenteer for this dangerous and possiably unrewarding mission. I am not sure how said brewery will ever make money this way, that is not my concern, quality is my concern sir. You can count on me that i will route out all the fails i can find, and even some that aren't there i will find them sir. I will be not unbias and totally cold in my judgement of anything put in front of me. If you say strict you will get so strict you can bounce a quater off it sir. I will take one, two or even 10 pints for the team. Ahhh when do you start?

cheers

I worked at a major window & door manufacturer and this was a typical new product start-up qualification plan. Thinking about beer quality control sounds kind of like a Homer Simpson job.
:rockin:

There are a couple of people @ work I use as "guinea pigs" to get opinions from, the HMFIC is NOT one of them. No idea if he knows or not. Wouldn't think it would be an issue either way. FYI: the guinea pigs are ok with both the term & the free samples.

I work at a Do-It Best hardware store, and my very first Mr. Beer kit came from the Do-It warehouse.

My boss would refer all customers who showed an interest in Mr. Beer to me, because I'm now "The beer guy" at the store.

Immediate boss and a few of my fellow workers have received a sixer. Immediate boss is on vacation, but am sure that like all the rest, are waiting for the next HB gift. My old boss (Immediate boss' old boss) was told, by me, that "I love to drink beer" after we all were talking about my HB'ing hobby. Her face looked more like "I need to breathalize him more." Other than that everything is fine. She'll have to catch me on that once in a while day when I needed to go ahead and call in sick.:drunk:

Yes. Granted I work at a big Liquor Store and stock beer and homebrew supplies. My past 2 jobs have known as well, and everyone has loved it.

I think you have to feel the person out first before you tell them about anything about you that could be mildly risque.

I had an interview a few years ago with two ladies for a job in IT. At the end they asked me what I liked to do for fun. I told them I liked to go to concerts, but didn't explain that the concerts are mostly rap and metal shows (I told them I saw Jimmy Buffet and Billy Joel that year which was true). I also told them that I collect DVDs and have over 800 in my collection, but negated the fact that 80% of them are horror DVDs.

Can't have people know that you're a horror fanatic with a love for beer and "crazy" music. Gotta kinda sugar coat it, you know?

Hell I told my boss in the interview that I brew. Turned out his grandpa used to be a homebrewer. Score! Offered him some for Christmas and he was extremely pleased.

My last boss was British and I thought for sure I would get a promotion..only to find out that he doesn't drink beer!

Yes, my bosses know. But it's hard not to know my hobbies. I'm always reading either BYO or Model Railroader during lunch. But I wouldn't mention any hobbies in an interview scenario. You want a job, not a buddy! Besides, you might paint yourself into a stereotypical characature...
Beer & wine making: you're an alcoholic
Model trains: you're still a kid
Collecting stamps or coins: you're a boring stick-in-the-mud
Music: you're a damned hippie
Cooking: you watch too much Food TV and are a pig; no wonder your ass is so fat
Computer gaming: you're a nerd who never sees the sun and lost your virginity to your right hand

You get the idea.

My boss and co-workers know, and nobody seems to care. Everyone has their hobbies and I think most of them realize how important it is to have hobbies.

I did just apply for a job (IT position). I put it on my resume, under other skills and interests. I also have other oddities there like, aquarium fish breeding. Neither relate to my field, but there's a chance they ask you a question about it on an interview. This job is for a college/university, so perhaps I won't regret it, but this thread has me questioning whether or not to keep it on my resume.

There is a clear risk in putting something like this on a resume. Unfortunately, it could deem you unfit by some manager-types. On the other hand, I'd like to think most places wouldn't judge. BUT, you could easily differentiate yourself from other blah-blah resumes with some character, and it may be what sets you apart to get the job. Risky-play I suppose.

They taught us in school that an interview was 50% you selling yourself, and 50% them selling themselves to you. I want to be comfortable in a place of employment, so perhaps it's important for people to know right away.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed...

I don't know if my boss knows (can't remember when I saw him last) but my supervisors know. When I apply for more professional jobs in the future I probably wont mention it until it comes up in conversation after being hired, unless I'm applying for something at a brewery of course.

Yes, my bosses know. But it's hard not to know my hobbies. I'm always reading either BYO or Model Railroader during lunch. But I wouldn't mention any hobbies in an interview scenario. You want a job, not a buddy! Besides, you might paint yourself into a stereotypical characature...
Beer & wine making: you're an alcoholic
Model trains: you're still a kid
Collecting stamps or coins: you're a boring stick-in-the-mud
Music: you're a damned hippie
Cooking: you watch too much Food TV and are a pig; no wonder your ass is so fat
Computer gaming: you're a nerd who never sees the sun and lost your virginity to your right hand

You get the idea.

Half of those, I now need beer to forget em! As except for the stamps and trains....IT's ME ! !

:ban:

Probably been mentioned but even though I wouldn't volunteer the info I wouldn't hide it in any way. People who homebrew usually don't do it just to 'have beer'. Homebrewing shows that you're willing to go the extra mile and put in a LOT of effort for something that's important to you. Many people don't know that but IF you mention that you homebrew I would also mention how much effort it is.

Yes my boss knows. I've taken kegs to company picnics, etc.

My boss is a skinny lady who doesnt eat or drink extra carbs... Yea I know.. one of those... She knows, and I make it pretty transparent that i home brew... she doesnt care, and a lot of my friends at work are always asking for beer from me... I don't care... I look at it like it is extra insurance... they all like me and will back me up...

Fostering good connections in the non-profit world ;)

One of my bosses brings me growlers to fill up and even slips a little coin my way for ingrediants. I love sharing my beer.

My boss knows I brew and I give him some every now and again. I even gave one to the Managing Partner and he said it was really good. The law firm I work for is pretty laid back for a Corporate law firm

This reminds me of how in college, my senior seminar profs and all job coaches, etc, told me I would never get a job with an eyebrow ring. I retorted I didn't want to have a job where I'd have to take it out. They would always say, "We'll see how long that lasts." Well, over a year and a half out of college, still have the eyebrow ring, and have found a very good, stable job, and have been promoted.
So yeah, there's something to say for being upfront - you'll find a better fit for yourself.

Also, my doctor asked me what my hobbies are- I mentioned brewing, and she got all excited. Apparently the other doctor there brews as well. I think I picked the right place to go :).

Latest posts

Back