Does Wy1007 German Ale floc like WLP002 English Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
I made a starter from a slant of Wy1007 and it clumped up and floculated just like WLP002. I don't remember it doing this before.

They are totally different. Wyeast 1007 German is probably the worst floccing yeast I've ever used. WLP002 is probably the best floccing yeast I've used. That's strange that it clumped on you like that.

I didn't think it clumped the last time I used it, but that was quite awhile ago.

I have slants of 8 different yeast strains, all kept in separate containers which are marked accordingly. The only thing I can think of is that i somehow grabbed the wrong container, or I mixed them up when I made the slants. But I don't know for sure and now can't be sure of what yeast I'm using.

I just did a starter with the WL Dry english 007, and i have clumps. Hoiping its alright. Everywhere says he 002 does it, which makes me a bit nervous :-\

I just did a starter with the WL Dry english 007, and i have clumps. Hoiping its alright. Everywhere says he 002 does it, which makes me a bit nervous :-\

Just to be clear wyeast 1007 should have no clumps. WLP007 should clump. Totally different. WLP007 is basically the same as WLP002; it just attenuates more. So you're good.

Back