Does this look ok???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danniscoops

Reaction score
Hi all,
More noob questions (sorry)
started my 2nd extract brew last week using mango jacks American pale ale.

I’ve done my first test for the SPG before I add the hops. It’s not where it needs to be yet but, the sample I took has a lot of floaty bits in that I don’t remember seeing in my first batch. Is it possible that the brew has gone wrong? Or is it that It needs longer for the floaty bits to ferment?

Attachments

• B1A9BE00-5A12-44E8-B9CD-7A22E9B2FC66.jpeg
    B1A9BE00-5A12-44E8-B9CD-7A22E9B2FC66.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Looks like yeast and sediment. Did you move the fv before you took out a sample? If so thats probably why . What yeast was used ? What was the gravity ? Did you taste it ? How was the taste and smell?

Looks like yeast and sediment. Did you move the fv before you took out a sample? If so thats probably why . What yeast was used ? What was the gravity ? Did you taste it ? How was the taste and smell?
I moved it a littlw while taking the lid off. It was between 1.003 and 1.004, sorry I don’t know what yeast it was it came in the pack. It smelled like beer and tasted like week beer. What would it taste like if it had gone bad?

I moved it a littlw while taking the lid off. It was between 1.003 and 1.004, sorry I don’t know what yeast it was it came in the pack. It smelled like beer and tasted like week beer. What would it taste like if it had gone bad?

There could be a few off flavors , but you'd know when you tried . Its probably fine tbh. When you moved it it probably kicked stuff up . If you didn't see anything odd on top of the surface and taste and smell is ok I wouldn't worry .

There could be a few off flavors , but you'd know when you tried . Its probably fine tbh. When you moved it it probably kicked stuff up . If you didn't see anything odd on top of the surface and taste and smell is ok I wouldn't worry .
Thank you.
I have one more question that I’m hoping you can help me with if that’s ok?
When I stared the brew the pack asked for 700gm of malt extract or 600gm of brewing sugar. I went for the malt extract and bought a 1.2kg bag of mango jacks brew enhancer. I measured out 700gms and added it to the mix. Since then I have watched a few videos where they added the full 1.2kg of brew enhancer. My question is could it be possible that I haven’t added enough sugar and the brew will never hit SF 1.0025 ? And if so can I add more 1 week in to the fermentation period?

Thank you.
I have one more question that I’m hoping you can help me with if that’s ok?
When I stared the brew the pack asked for 700gm of malt extract or 600gm of brewing sugar. I went for the malt extract and bought a 1.2kg bag of mango jacks brew enhancer. I measured out 700gms and added it to the mix. Since then I have watched a few videos where they added the full 1.2kg of brew enhancer. My question is could it be possible that I haven’t added enough sugar and the brew will never hit SF 1.0025 ? And if so can I add more 1 week in to the fermentation period?

Not sure about the kit you brewed . Your FG is reading 1.003 - 1.004 you said . Thats a pretty dry beer. What was your OG ? Was it a 5 gallon batch ?

Not sure about the kit you brewed . Your FG is reading 1.003 - 1.004 you said . Thats a pretty dry beer. What was your OG ? Was it a 5 gallon batch ?
Yeah it was 5 gallons not sure what the starting was the pack only asked to check after a week

Everything seems fine. No-one can exactly predict the FG of a brew. Even the big boys don't hit their FGs exactly.

1.003/1.004 is a pretty good FG, and is a lot lower than most beers. I assume this is a Belgian.

You have done nothing wrong, and the picture seems fine. You need to allow everything to settle out, and then rack off it into a bottling bucket and bottle.

Beer seems weak because it is a Belgian. It does not have a lot of body, and the amount of alcohol can be deceiving. Belgians are great beers with a lot of yeast flavor, but beware as the alcohol level is often deceiving.

Looks fine to me. Those “floaty things“ are most likely sediment that got stirred up. If is smells like beer and tastes like beer then drink it! 🍻

Back