does petrus have viable dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
I have a 4-pack of the aged pale and I don't see anything in the bottom of the bottle. I was gonna throw them on a beer I wanna sour along with some boon Oude Gueze and cascade apricot dregs.have they recently started filtering/pasteurizing their beers? I'm pretty sure I seen it on the mad fermentationists list of viable dregs. Thanks for any help

I used petrus oude bruin dregs successfully for an oude bruin about a year ago. You would not even notice if they were viable or not with cascade and boon in there though.

I used petrus oude bruin dregs successfully for an oude bruin about a year ago. You would not even notice if they were viable or not with cascade and boon in there though.

Could you see the dregs in the petrus Oude bruin that you used? The petrus aged pale I have looks completely clear as if it were filtered.

Don't remember, Petrus oude bruin is a blend of the pale with another non sour beers so they should be the same bug wise. It is just straight lacto, a very good strain though. Made a wonderful oude bruin. The last pale I bought had a fine layer at the bottom though IIRC. They are not bottle conditioned so they will never be cloudy or have a lot of sediment.

I'm wondering if anyone has an answer here. I too just purchased some Petrus Pale for dregs, but the beer is crystal clear and has zero sediment. Did Bavik start pasteurizing and/or filtering the Petrus Pale?

I used Aged Pale dregs in an unblended lambic of mine that won best of show. This was back at the beginning of 2012 though so maybe they have started to filter since then. I do remember mine having sediment in the bottle though.

I'm wondering if anyone has an answer here. I too just purchased some Petrus Pale for dregs, but the beer is crystal clear and has zero sediment. Did Bavik start pasteurizing and/or filtering the Petrus Pale?

I've had favorable results using dregs from the aged Pale previously (maybe 2 years ago). Both the Pale and the Oud Bruin have very minimal sediment regardless. I'm curious though, so I emailed Bavik for clarification and will share their reply.

I drank Aged Pale just yesterday and had the same experience. Definitely looks filtered.

I emailed Bavik and this is the response I got:

"First of all, we want to thank you for the appreciation and interest in our beer Petrus Aged Pale.
Our Petrus Aged Pale is filtered and pasteurized. There are no live bacteria or wild yeasts added during bottling."

I emailed Bavik and this is the response I got:

"First of all, we want to thank you for the appreciation and interest in our beer Petrus Aged Pale.
Our Petrus Aged Pale is filtered and pasteurized. There are no live bacteria or wild yeasts added during bottling."

I got the exact same response, verbatim.

I recently bought a package of Braviks Sour Power. It came with petrus oud bruin and petrus aged pale and another one of their sour beers. The good news is they have dregs at the bottom! I don't know if they are viable...... but I don't mind spending a little time and money to try and culture them to find out. The Oud Bruin tasted so awesome it inspired me to make a clone. My end goal is to generate reusable frozen stocks as opposed to "one and done." Anyone have experience ranching microbes? I've only read a little (currently in the middle of yeast by White and Zainasheff). If anyone insight I would love to hear it.

My background is in biochem (undergrad) but my specialty is organic synthesis(grad)...any knowledge of micro has kinda been purged unfortunately. Anyways my point is feel free to lay down a thick layer of science. I really would like to clone these beers as best as I can.

Not sure if I should have posted here or another thread relating to microbe ranching. This is only my second post....

I recently bought a package of Braviks Sour Power. It came with petrus oud bruin and petrus aged pale and another one of their sour beers. The good news is they have dregs at the bottom! I don't know if they are viable......
Bavik pasteurizes all their beers, so nothing viable in there :(

check out http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html for a decent list of which beers have viable dregs.

Anyone have experience ranching microbes?
many people here have experience with that, but that's a damn wide question you're asking... sorta like "anyone here have experience brewing beer?" - the answer could go on for days, and few people are willing to type that much. you'll likely get better results if you ask specific questions (and maybe start a new thread on that topic, "need help ranching microbes" or some such).

^ Came to post the MTF list.

The Boon and Cascade will work though. Cascade only uses Lacto in production. If I remember correctly from the Sour Hour a few weeks ago, they do see other microbes being introduced when using fresh fruit, as expected. However, I am no sure if the apricots they are using a fresh or aseptic. Either way, it sounds like a pretty hop and ABV tolerant strain of lacto.

I started a culture from the dregs of an Aged Pale and it is definitely fermenting. Not sure if it's just a bottling strain or some other yeast and bacteria. Once it grows up and finishes out I'll take a closer look.

I started a culture from the dregs of an Aged Pale and it is definitely fermenting. Not sure if it's just a bottling strain or some other yeast and bacteria. Once it grows up and finishes out I'll take a closer look.

Nice! I'll be looking forward to hearing an update.

I remember Petrus beers being pretty rubbish last time I tasted them. Like watery and bland.
Maybe I should re-try them, unless others agree?

I emailed Bavik and received the response everyone else has, but they also asked for the lot number from the bottle. I sent that and I'm waiting for a reply now.

The dregs finished fermenting and went into the fridge to drop out. I just pulled a sample of the finished beer and it's attenuation is around 75% and the pH dropped to under 4. It tastes pretty sour after just the time in the starter. I'm making a golden sour this week that I'll be using it on and hopefully I'll have more answers.

Back