Does Lallemand Abbaye yeast ferment very fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNGU

Reaction score
Hi, First time posting!

I have two batches that I made around a day apart from each other, a NEIPA 6/23 with Lalbrew New England yeast with a o.g. of 1.067 and it's still going and I have a Belgian Tripel that I brewed the following day 6/24 with a o.g. of 1.083 that seems to be finished (stable at 1.018) is something wrong or am I ready to bottle? (they are both next to each other in the same conditions, granted on the warm side)

Belgian yeasts can be pretty aggressive. I doubt anything is wrong.

A word of caution, if it’s a know diastaticus yeast, which I’m not sure, I definitely wouldn’t bottle yet. Even if it’s not, 4 days is pretty quick to go into bottles. If it were me, I’d give it a little more time.

I'm in a similar situation but I have a diastatic strain working on my ale (mj M41), as my lallemand abbey apparently was dead p(3years over expiration date) and wouldn't start so I tried to rescue it with the closest yeast I had on hand.

For a diastatic strain, at least three weeks in the fermenter! But as lallemand abbey is not diastatic, you're safe to bottle whenever it is ready. However it doesn't hurt to keep it for two weeks in the fermenter to be on the safe side. Less yeast in the bottle and these strong beers need to age anyway, so no need to rush.

Abbaye from Lallemand is quick, so the bulk of fermentation will be done in 3-5 days, but you should allow the beer to sit on yeast for a bit more. You want 10-14 days. 10 days if you are in a hurry, 14 if you can wait.

Yeah Lallemand Abbaye is fast, my last brew with it was very close to FG in two days, but like @thehaze said you're most likely better off letting it sit for 10-14 days, I'd do 12 minimum for beers like this.

1.083 OG, Abbaye yeast, finished in 4 days...
It smells like banana, right? May taste like it too.
If positive, wait, like others said, at least 10 days to bottle. And let it mature for 2 months, at minimum. It's hard, I know, but worth. The banana will turn into something like raisin.

1.083 OG, Abbaye yeast, finished in 4 days...
It smells like banana, right? May taste like it too.
If positive, wait, like others said, at least 10 days to bottle. And let it mature for 2 months, at minimum. It's hard, I know, but worth. The banana will turn into something like raisin.
Yeah, pretty sweet. Thanks.
I'll probably open a bottle every week to taste, there should be some left after two months!

Back