Does April 15th do something to people?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
Is it just me or are people a little on edge right about now? I hate April 15th with a passion, but even on my favorite forum, people seem a bit on edge. After I pay the tax man my pound of flesh, I'll be glad to get this behind me for another year.

I agree! I don't know what the heck the problem around here is, but there are snide remarks, sniping, and just a whole different attitude in general around here.

I still go back to some of the things my momma taught me, which include the "Golden Rule" and when that doesn't work, then the second rule. To paraphrase her, "Use a big stick and run like hell".

not so much "on edge"..... but I do feel a little violated... something about writing a check with a comma in the number after the silly guys have pillaged my pay-check all year long....

As May 21st approaches, I suspect more people will become agitated. The CIA's mind control contrails are increasingly ineffective.:cross::D

Really, I think all of the earthquake/tsunami/mid-east tension/higher gas prices and a myriad of other events are taking their toll.

Do a lot of people have to pay into taxes? I thought that only really happened when people were self employed. For the 15 odd years I've been part of the work force, I've always got money back from my taxes. As a matter of fact, I love taxes! It's like getting an extra pay check (even though it was money I loaned to the government with no interest, but whatever)

I've almost always had to pay a little bit of tax at the end of the year. I think you get a lot of money back if you have a few little tax deductions running around the house.

I had mine done 3 weeks ago. then came to find out that someone filed under my wifes or my SS#. Now there is an investigation underway. Could have used that $$ a little while ago.

It's part of living in the good ol'USA. I've had mine done for weeks, and I've never had to pay in anymore either. I do understand that some people get bent over a barrell this time of year and while it sucks, it's just the way it is. We can either complain about it and do nothing, or get involved within the "system" and try to make changes. I prefer to sit around and do nothing. I'm lazy these days and rather drink a beer than stand in line somewhere holding a sign up that says like "Does this ass make my sign look big?" with a picture of my "opponent" on it.

Rant Over, sorry. I like Yoopers rule.

Unless you run your own business or have special circumstances (rentals ect.) I don't know why people freak out over taxes so much. It takes an average person what? 1 hour to fill in the blanks?

That said, I've had my returns sitting in my bank account for a couple/few weeks now.

Hot on the heels of April 18 is April 20th. Maybe everyone will mellow out then...

found out we got money coming this year and it was done asap, I don't want to loan money to the gov any longer than I have to. Time to make some changes on the old forms too.

Never had an issue with tax time either. I always get money back. Yeah, it's an interest free loan to the government. So? It's not like my savings account pays any interest worth bothering with and, this way, I am forced to save for a year without dipping in for this or that.

This year I got enough back to pay off my car (not to mention buying my brewing setup). If I had lowered my deductions and put it in a savings account I would have gathered, what, 50 cents in interest? And that's also assuming I didn't spend it in the mean time.

I feel for the people who have to pay in, but I certainly look forward to tax time every year. Not only do I get a large, lump sum return of my savings, but it also means that summer's on the way.

Unless you run your own business or have special circumstances (rentals ect.) I don't know why people freak out over taxes so much. It takes an average person what? 1 hour to fill in the blanks?

That said, I've had my returns sitting in my bank account for a couple/few weeks now.

My accountant says I owe $6k. I wait till the last day to pay. Have to break the piggy bank. :(

I'm one of those folks who pays estimated quarterly and has to pay an accountant to sort out my mess at the end of the year. I remember those halcyon days of youth when it was money coming back. Good times! Sniff.

I pay a little extra each paycheck so that I get a refund. As mentioned, I realize it's an interest-free loan to the government. I have no problem with that, I prefer getting a refund. Makes tax time a good time and not a bad time. Totally worth it for me. I still haven't done mine this year but it's only an hour or so on TurboTax. It's getting close to not making any difference whether I itemize or just take the standard deduction.

Just wait until the fed starts issueing iou's like cali. Then you'll be wishing you had to pay in!

I completed the forms two weeks ago, but I still haven't mailed them out. And I'm getting money back. I've got a few days still. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe Saturday. Probably Monday. I mean, isn't the gov'ment shut down anyway right now? Or did that not happen?

Wait, what's that I hear? I think it's my IPA saying "drink me. drink more of me". It's kinda young so it doesn't like to use capital letters.

Being self employed, I pay the quarterly estimated taxes. Even though it works out the same, it seems much more painful writing that check. It really brings home how much I donate to the cause. April 15 is no more painful that every other quarter. Actually, this year I get the "bonus" of paying less next quarter since I paid for more income than I actually made! Love this economy - need to improve my mood by brewing more beer.

Latest posts

Back