Does anybody have experience with Candi Syrup d-240

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
I ordered 2 16OZ pouches of this stuff as the description totally sounds delicious, but somehow I can't find anybody who has actually brewed with the stuff. I did read some brewers that have used the D-180 and warned it would take completely over the beer if used more then 8oz.

My initial plan was to use 11% in a a Belgian Dubbel brew this would be 800Grams/28.2 Oz.
But I am worried it might be too much. I am looking forward to your experiences with this product.
Thanks in advance, Remi

Some information from the manufacturer:
D-240 Candi Syrup is the richest and darkest candi syrup available on the market. Created to have a rich smooth palate, D-240 is a triple-dark syrup with hints of dark raisin, extra dark stone fruit and a roasted dark caramel back-palate. For ales that require full body and indescribable flavor that will set your ales apart.

I ordered 2 16OZ pouches of this stuff as the description totally sounds delicious, but somehow I can't find anybody who has actually brewed with the stuff. I did read some brewers that have used the D-180 and warned it would take completely over the beer if used more then 8oz.

My initial plan was to use 11% in a a Belgian Dubbel brew this would be 800Grams/28.2 Oz.
But I am worried it might be too much. I am looking forward to your experiences with this product.
Thanks in advance, Remi

I haven't use it either, but wouldn't expect it to be much different from D-180 (darker, of course). Let us know how it turns out.

i've also used d-180 in a 10% quad. used about 12oz for 5gal batch. Very strong - i imagine the d-240 is even stronger, and would probably stick with the 8oz/5gal.

i've also used d-180 in a 10% quad. used about 12oz for 5gal batch. Very strong - i imagine the d-240 is even stronger, and would probably stick with the 8oz/5gal.
That's some useful info! MY my plan was to make a Belgian strong dark ale +/-8.5% and to put 32 oz D-240 in. Based on your reaction this would be way too strong?

I really liked the flavour of 8oz in the quad. Makes it smooth and that very distinct Belgian flavour without over powering it. I'd almost wonder if 8oz of a stronger candi in a lower ABV may be too much? At some point you'll have to just make a decision, brew it and adjust for the next batch. Personally, I'd err on the side of caution with such a strong flavour additive and go 4-6oz, then going 8oz and have it over power the rest of the beer.

I really liked the flavour of 8oz in the quad. Makes it smooth and that very distinct Belgian flavour without over powering it. I'd almost wonder if 8oz of a stronger candi in a lower ABV may be too much? At some point you'll have to just make a decision, brew it and adjust for the next batch. Personally, I'd err on the side of caution with such a strong flavour additive and go 4-6oz, then going 8oz and have it over power the rest of the beer.
Good points! The thing is I see some recipes that use up to 3 pounds in a 5G batch. those are usually higher ABV. though. I am planning to use Special B and Caramunich in this same brew so choosing the side of caution might be the best approach. Thanks for your input!

3lb? Must be low d-45 or something? Seems like waaaaaay too much.

No prob! Lets us know how it goes!

3lb? Must be low d-45 or something? Seems like waaaaaay too much.

No prob! Lets us know how it goes!

I use D180 in my BDSA
I add 1.0lb at the beginning of the boil. Then 1.0lb in last few minutes to preserve its aroma. Then when I transfer to long secondary I add one more full pound.
It does seem like a huge amount. I will keep you posted when I decide what to do! I have a low ABV extract brew coming up this weekend, basically a glorified yeast starter. I might add some there although the extract kit is intended to be a pale ale (ordered Golden Syrup for it), it makes for a perfect experiment.

Used 8 oz. of D-180 in a 2.5 gallon Dubbel that attenuated high enough to be a Dark Strong (~8%). Was delicious. For five gallons I bet you'd be safe using a pound, but I think 2 pounds would be overkill.

I haven’t done one yet, but Candi Syrups own Westy 12 clone recipe uses 2.5 lbs of D-180, and Northerns Brewers recipe states 2 lbs.

I haven’t done one yet, but Candi Syrups own Westy 12 clone recipe uses 2.5 lbs of D-180, and Northerns Brewers recipe states 2 lbs.
Wow that sure is a lot. I think I will be trying 1lbs for my first time. Since I am making a Belgian Dark Strong Ale of around 8% ABV

I just bought a bottle of Rochefort 10. According to Candi Syrup this beer has 3LBS of D-180 in a 5gallon batch. Can't think of a better way to get acquainted with D-180 without brewing with it myself.

I'll let you know in a few weeks, just added 2lbs of D-240 to a braggot I've got fermenting now. I've never used it before, had it sitting around collecting dust so I decided to try it.

I've been using D-180 for years, it's the best!! 2lbs in a 5g batch of a Quad is a pretty normal amount IMO.

I'll let you know in a few weeks, just added 2lbs of D-240 to a braggot I've got fermenting now. I've never used it before, had it sitting around collecting dust so I decided to try it.

I've been using D-180 for years, it's the best!! 2lbs in a 5g batch of a Quad is a pretty normal amount IMO.
Much obliged!
Only thing I could find about D-240 was on an Australian board yesterday.
They said D-240 is slightly burned, lots of hints of coffee and chocolate, and some dark raisin and as strong if not stronger than D-180. D-180 seems to be fruitier though. I am looking forward to your experience.

Yes, it's hard to beat the Westy 12 clone recipe, with 2 lbs. of D-180 in a 5 gallons batch (CSI orginally used 2 1/2 lbs).

I can't get D-180 here, except when friends bring it in from the States, but I've just started experimenting with a local product that tastes quite similar (quemado de panela).

Did you by any chance taste it already? Very curious about your observations!

Did you by any chance taste it already? Very curious about your observations!

I just bottled my braggot tonight, so my sample was flat. It also had 10lbs of dark honey added to it and was a 18.6%! I'm not great at describing flavors: Very tasty! Big dark malt flavors(I only used light malt and wheat DME), dark fruit, a bit of chocolate, caramel, and possibly coffee.

I'll have to let it carb a few weeks and try one again to really get a feel for it. Right now I would say that it would be almost overpowering in a smaller beer.

I just bottled my braggot tonight, so my sample was flat. It also had 10lbs of dark honey added to it and was a 18.6%! I'm not great at describing flavors: Very tasty! Big dark malt flavors(I only used light malt and wheat DME), dark fruit, a bit of chocolate, caramel, and possibly coffee.

I'll have to let it carb a few weeks and try one again to really get a feel for it. Right now I would say that it would be almost overpowering in a smaller beer.
Thanks for the update, so you are saying that 1 lbs of the stuff in a 8% abv beer would probably be overkill?

Yeah! I'll be using it more in the very near future. Maybe do my standard quad and dubbel and see how it compares to D-180. Probably just the expected heavier and darker flavors, but I still want to try it!

Yeah! I'll be using it more in the very near future. Maybe do my standard quad and dubbel and see how it compares to D-180. Probably just the expected heavier and darker flavors, but I still want to try it!
The only syrup I have used so far is the golden wich I like a lot. I now have 2 pounds of d-240 so will use it in the future for sure, and by then I will know how much is appropriate, looking forward to trying the other syrups too!

Did my brew today and wow this stuff is DARK! I added the entire pouch and I rinsed it twice with water, I was running higher then expected efficiency anyway so might as well rinse that pouch thouroughly! The wort smelled amazing, will update in a couple of weeks

I am currently drinking a Dubbel with 1# of D90 and 1# of D180. It is a little dark for the style, and a bit roasty. I will use less next time.
If I were using 240, I would add it to the fermenter gradually, tasting after each dose fermented. Maybe 1/2# to start. That way you can gauge the result.

I am currently drinking a Dubbel with 1# of D90 and 1# of D180. It is a little dark for the style, and a bit roasty. I will use less next time.
If I were using 240, I would add it to the fermenter gradually, tasting after each dose fermented. Maybe 1/2# to start. That way you can gauge the result.
While that is a good point, I don't like the idea of opening the fermenter to 02 several times to add some more syrup. 1 LBS is now my baseline, looking forward tasting this batch, worse case scenario it will be too much a d-240 beer, but at least I would have a benchmark for the next brew.

I understand that, though I have done as many as three sugar feedings without any apparent ill effect.
If you have the fermenter space, you might split the batch and try different amounts of 240 in each.
I hope you have great results with your beer, let us know.

I understand that, though I have done as many as three sugar feedings without any apparent ill effect.
If you have the fermenter space, you might split the batch and try different amounts of 240 in each.
I hope you have great results with your beer, let us know.
It is still chugging along nicely, I upped the temperature to 22c (this yeast likes it warm) and will let it ride a total of 3 weeks, will update as soon as I sample!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention by the way that since I had higher then expected effiecency I didn't brew 5 gallons, but it was 5.6 Gallons, so baseline is 1 LBS per 5.6 Gallon, not a huge difference, still more than 10% extra dilution though.

Took a gravity sample today, it's at 1.054, it smells exactly like the real Carolus I had just after, didn't taste it because at 1.054 it should be too sweet anyway, the smell is very promosing though!

Not to high jack the thread but I stumbled upon this 400 Lovibond candy syrup and a burnt stout recipe. They start with 0.5 lb in 5 gallons.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/1-LB-400-LOVIBOND-BURNT-BELGIAN-CANDI-SYRUP-P3867.aspx?afid=14

I’d be curious if anyone has experience with this stuff. Placed an order with Williams yesterday and picked up a lbs of this on sale. Couldn’t pass up for $3.50 and no additional shipping. Now just need to figure what to do with it.

I’d be curious if anyone has experience with this stuff. Placed an order with Williams yesterday and picked up a lbs of this on sale. Couldn’t pass up for $3.50 and no additional shipping. Now just need to figure what to do with it.
I'd think that trying it in that stout they posted is probably a good place to start. I'd be interested in hearing what you decide to brew with it and how it turns out.

Back