Does 1.00 gravity equal successful fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanwilldrink

Reaction score
I threw together five gallons of cider and added mangroves dry cider yeast and agave for the yeast to chew on...put in my fermenter at 68 degrees and checked it 48 hours later. It looked like the yeast was starting to pick up...but 17 days later I go to rack it and there is no sign that the yeast did its magic. No foam...no crud on the sides...but the gravity is at 1.00 on the dot. Does cider not ferment like beer or did my yeast not survive?

Typically all the sugars in apples are fermentable by the yeast. You can easily expect the gravity to fall to 1.000 or even lower.

1.000 is certainly an indication that the yeasts were doing their thing. You should have a layer of lees in the bottom of the fermenter as an evidence of that.

Does 1.00 gravity equal successful fermentation?

I would think successful fermentation or some sort of magic :)

Wine ferments more "quietly" than beer and does not leave a kreusen ring or foam nearly as much, more stealth....

I threw together five gallons of cider and added mangroves dry cider yeast and agave for the yeast to chew on...put in my fermenter at 68 degrees and checked it 48 hours later. It looked like the yeast was starting to pick up...but 17 days later I go to rack it and there is no sign that the yeast did its magic. No foam...no crud on the sides...but the gravity is at 1.00 on the dot. Does cider not ferment like beer or did my yeast not survive?

As others said, if the SG is 1.000 exactly, then the yeast did in fact ferment the cider. Whether it foams or not is usually dependent on yeast strain as well. I've had minimal and no excessive foaming with nottingham.

Of course, if you dont trust the hydro, you could drink a few cups of cider and see if you start feeling drunk.

Latest posts

Back