Do you HAVE to use a Flask for yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So I scored a nice stir plate and now I need to get the actual flask or whatnot.

My question(s) is:

Is the flask necessary or can I use any kind of glass? Is the main reason folks use the flask is because they can cork it with the stopper and attach the airlock?

flasks are nice because they are clear and you can even boil or dump boiling wort into them. use whatever you want anything works. Ive used growlers, stock pots, plastic ice tea pitchers. Anything that con hold liquid and be sanitized will be find. I did end up buying a 2000ml flask on amazon for 14$ and they are nice though. Flasks have the benefit of a very flat bottom, unlike most growlers, so they work really well on a stir plate. However a stock pot with a lid will work just as good if it is SS or aluminum.

So I scored a nice stir plate and now I need to get the actual flask or whatnot.

My question(s) is:

Is the flask necessary or can I use any kind of glass? Is the main reason folks use the flask is because they can cork it with the stopper and attach the airlock?

I've read posts where guys used gallon jugs. I think the main reason flasks are used is because they are pyrex or similar glass that has been specially made to handle thermal shock. They are safer when dealing with hot liquids.

153100948547944.jpg

You can use whatever you can clean and sanitize except when using a stir plate, you need something with a flat bottom. When you look at most glass containers, they have a convex bottom (on the inside) and the stir bar will likely fall off after a short while losing the benefit of a stir plate. Erlenmeyer flasks are used because they have a flat bottle (and can handle thermal shock as mentioned above).

For large starters, based on this post, I started using the rubbermaid container posted because it holds over a gallon and has a flat bottom and it way cheaper than a 4L erlenmeyer flask (and way less fragile).

Ah makes sense. I am trying to do my first starter. And I am already making a NorthernBrewer order for the Wort Aerator and Wyeast so I think I can just order the 1000mL flask starter kit that comes with the DME and foam stopper for $19.

Thanks folks.

Ah makes sense. I am trying to do my first starter. And I am already making a NorthernBrewer order for the Wort Aerator and Wyeast so I think I can just order the 1000mL flask starter kit that comes with the DME and foam stopper for $19.

Thanks folks.

Consider spending a few more $$ and getting the 2000ml flask instead. You will be able to do larger starters. Of course, if you need a big starter, you could always do multi-step starters in the 1000ml, but having a bigger flask can let you do bigger 1-step starters.

Consider spending a few more $$ and getting the 2000ml flask instead. You will be able to do larger starters. Of course, if you need a big starter, you could always do multi-step starters in the 1000ml, but having a bigger flask can let you do bigger 1-step starters.

I cancelled my order and updated to the 2000mL.

Rather just do it right the first time.

1000ml flask is really pretty small. I would also recommend trying to get something bigger - I think the smallest starter I ever make is 1000ml. And, I usually make 1.5-2L starters. Lagers, I step up 2L to another fresh 2L of wort. I have a 4L flask, but also several 1 gallon glass jugs that I use without a stir plate.

I exclusively use a half gallon growler and have never had a problem. I like it because I can make as big a starter as I will ever need in there. Also I've never jumped on the stir plate train.. I keep it on top of the fridge cover it with foil, pole holes in the foil, and give it a shake every time I walk past.

I cancelled my order and updated to the 2000mL.

Rather just do it right the first time.

I like the idea of bigger, but if you want to do it right the first time I'd go 5000. You need that for lagers. That having been said, 1g growlers are more than fine and are waaaay cheaper but you have to boil in a pot.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back