Do these go together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
I am thinking of a lghter tasty session beer to either be brewed in time for christmas ( hence it being one that does not need weeks in secondary) or just after the new year.

I am thinking the following.
3290 Pale malt
195 Medium crystal
170 Torrified /wheat malt

Hops

40 challenger for 90
20 challenger for 15

Then comes the question...... should i bung in 15-20 grams Bobek/styrian goldings for the last 10 as well

Is there anywhere that tells of good hop combinations?

I am thinking safeale s 05 for this as i want the hops to come through or shoud i use another yeast.

What are the thoughts of the experts here?
Thanks

I'm assuming grams? I'm going to translate for the rest of the US members here for ease.
7.25lb Pale malt
6.8 oz medium crystal
6 oz torrified /wheat malt

1.4 oz challenger - 90
.7 challenger - 15

What style are you going for? The grain bill doesn't look bad. Should be an easy session beer you can turn around in a few weeks.

I would't boil the hops for 90 min. On a beer like this you really only need a 60 min boil anyways, unless your system is set up for 90.

I'm assuming grams? I'm going to translate for the rest of the US members here for ease.

What style are you going for? The grain bill doesn't look bad. Should be an easy session beer you can turn around in a few weeks.

I would't boil the hops for 90 min. On a beer like this you really only need a 60 min boil anyways, unless your system is set up for 90.

This would be a native ( well from my home land) best bitter type beer. The IBU should be around the 35-37 mark based on a 90 minute boil, although i would likely up the amounts of os and go for a shorter boil.

I love challenger and bobek but am not sure they go together.

Thanks for the translation.

No problem!

From the recipe, it looked like a bitter. The great thing about hops is that (most) varieties will go great together. You get little to no flavor/aroma from the bittering addition. A lot of brewers use different varieties to get aromas and flavors they are looking for. I don't consider myself a hop expert, so maybe someone else can chime in. I'd say if you like each hop independently, go for it.

No problem!

From the recipe, it looked like a bitter. The great thing about hops is that (most) varieties will go great together. You get little to no flavor/aroma from the bittering addition. A lot of brewers use different varieties to get aromas and flavors they are looking for. I don't consider myself a hop expert, so maybe someone else can chime in. I'd say if you like each hop independently, go for it.

The very late addition is just for a little crisp taste and the smell. Nothing better that going to sup a nice pint, and having your nose hairs taken out by the smell of hops!

Back