Do small quantities of a base grain make a difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I've seen a few recipes recently that call for small amounts of Vienna, Munich, Maris Otter, etc added to
10 or so pounds of 2-row.
It made me wonder if these amounts actually add a noticeable difference to the beers they are in. It's not like adding a half pound of melanoidin or Amber malt to a beer is it?
Anybody notice much difference in their beers?
Thanks.

It can make a difference, depending on the grains and how much are added. You'll notice a pound of Munich malt in a 10 pound batch, as a maltier flavor and aroma, for example.

Agreed, it will make a change. How much depends on which 2 row and which other base grain and how much of each. I often use 2 row and add a maltier base grain to give my beers more character. Sometimes as little as 10% Maris Otter for instance and other times more that 60% for a more malty flavor but still staying in the pale ale range.

Going 25% to add character works. It is good way if you want to stay lighter colored.

I often have grists that are 50/50, say 2-row and a mild or a Vienna.

Back