Do lager starters start slower than ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grv

Reaction score
There are a few posts about this that come down on both sides of the fence, so I'm just asking for some advice about my specific situation.

I've made several starters for ales that took off quickly and were more or less done in 24-36 hours, even with fairly old yeast. I could tell because the wort would first become lighter, then krausen, then the yeast would almost start clumping together once it was done.

I use a stir plate, and typically follow yeastcalc to make anywhere between a 1.5 and 2.5 L starter based on the beer.

As I mentioned, this is my first lager starter. It's 1.5 L (150g DME/1500ml water, with nutrient and O2), and the yeast is WLP833. I don't really see any of the signs I normally do, and it's been 48 hours. I used two vials based on yeastcalc and the size of starter I am able to step up for the bock. Both were supposed to be good until November, so they are fairly fresh.

I'd take a gravity, but even with the stir plate off, the yeast is not settling, so I don't know if that will affect the measurement.

Should I just wait with the plate off long enough to have the yeast settle so I can get a reading? Leave it on? Is this normal for lagers?

Thanks for any advice:)

If you're keeping your starter at fermenting temp, 50 F or so, then 48 hours is normal.

If doing it at room temp, which I personally have never agreed with with lager starters but I know a lot of people swear by, your yeast may very well be mad at you and refusing to work.

For better or worse, it's room temp. I guess maybe I'll let it spin for another day, then let things settle and check gravity. Weird...

Edit: just re-read what you wrote. I guess everything I read said room temp was fine. At this point, should I leave temp where it is, or try to slowly cool things down?

For better or worse, it's room temp. I guess maybe I'll let it spin for another day, then let things settle and check gravity. Weird...

I have no issues with fermenting lager starters at room temperatures. I also ferment ale starters at room temperature, not optimum fermentation temperatures. I don't go too warm, but I wouldn't worry about something like 75 degrees. After all, yeast grow great at 75 degrees and we're growing yeast, not making beer to drink.

Lager yeast are a different strain than ale yeast, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in the starters in the way they behave. You could try taking an SG reading (yeast in suspension won't affect it) if you're worried about it.

Yooper said:
I have no issues with fermenting lager starters at room temperatures. I also ferment ale starters at room temperature, not optimum fermentation temperatures. I don't go too warm, but I wouldn't worry about something like 75 degrees. After all, yeast grow great at 75 degrees and we're growing yeast, not making beer to drink.

Lager yeast are a different strain than ale yeast, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in the starters in the way they behave. You could try taking an SG reading (yeast in suspension won't affect it) if you're worried about it.

You posted while I was editing ;-)

I'll just take a reading and relax.

Nah, I haven't seen that lager starters take any longer than ale starters. If your lager starter really hasn't started after 48 hours (confirm this!) then you have a serious yeast health problem. I would strongly consider dumping it and buying new yeast.

And of course, do all your starters at room temp.

And... somehow that little sucker managed to get down to 1.011 without my noticing! Cold crashing now and preparing for the next step up. This one was much more subtle than any of the other starters I've done. Thanks for the tips, all.

It all depends on the strain. WLP500 is an ale yeast strain yet took 3x as long as any other starter I have done to date.

I (and many others) agree with propagating at room temperature. the point is to grow healthy yeast, not ferment good beer. and lager yeast like to be in 70-75F, they just don't produce good beer that way.

lager yeast doesn't die until 90F

Latest posts

Back