do I return the corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tante

Reaction score
sorry if this is a dumb question. I got 2 corny's from midwest today and I was checking them out. I noticed that the bar that secures the lid is loose on one so it doesn't apply any pressure to hold down the lid, while on the other it holds it down nicely. Basically if I flip the bar over from an open to closed position, it never catches properly to secure the lid.

Is there an oring on the lid? If so, then yes return it. It almost sounds like it could be the wrong lid. Not all corny's are identical. If you're missing an oring, then....get an oring.

You should be fine IMO. What holds your keg closed is the pressure. I would imagine you could bend the ends of the bar with a pair of pliers to make it more snug if you wanted.

The ends of the bar should have plastic feet in them, aer they there? Also, look at the lid O-ring is it still round in profile, you may have a really old one that has gotten crushed. One of the things I really like about Kegconnection.com is that they clean,test and ship every keg pressurized with a new set of O-rings, so you know it is ok.

JohnnyO said:
You should be fine IMO. What holds your keg closed is the pressure. I would imagine you could bend the ends of the bar with a pair of pliers to make it more snug if you wanted.

yep. several of my kegs are like this. I just pull up on the lid handle while I hit it with co2. the pressure creates the seal and is what holds it shut, not that bar.

thanks guys. I released all the pressure (so it is good that it is holding pressure) and noticed how it is designed. It has a new o-ring on it that was freshly oiled and I can see that when it is pressurized, the pressure will hold the lid shut. I think I am going to try bending it a bit first and see if that helps.

thanks again.

I had a couple kegs like that, they would seal fine when pressurized, it just bothered me that they had "quitter" lid clamps, I tweaked on them with some vice grips, now they clamp properly too.

I think you'll find that used corny kegs often have some "eccentricities" that give them "character". I've learned to deal with it, as long as they hold pressure and dispense beer!

Latest posts

Back