Do I have enough yeast for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzrp

n00b
Reaction score
Hi all

Might be a stupid question thread but what better way to make my first post on this forum.

I’m on my second brew, a partial mash that I’m calling a coconut latte stout... as it’s a breakfast stout heavy in chocolate and coffee which has had some coconut milk powder in with the lactose at the end of the boil and some toasted dedicates coconut in the secondary.

So my stupid question is this... my first brew I put the hop pellets in a nylon hop/ grain bag so they were easy to get out, this time round I had a brain melt and just chucked them in. This resulted in a lot of chaff floating around in primary with the fluff from the coconut milk powder (bits of it solidified with the hop scum so there was a fair bit of trub).

I left it in primary for 2 weeks then transferred into a secondary and left the trub behind. Thing is though I attached a nylon hop bag to the end of the tube when transferring as this was a suggested measure for getting rid of the hop scum.

I now have a really nice tasting clean silky black brew in my secondary and want to bottle... but am worried about whether or not I still have any/ enough yeast in there or if I will have filtered it out with the hops?

Will the nylon bag be fine enough to have filtered out the yeast in suspension? If so do I need to add more?

Any help much appreciated as keen to get bottled (moving house soon) but don’t want to ruin a really promising brew

The yeast cells are microscopically small and the bag will not filter them out. You should be just fine to bottle this beer with the yeast still in it.

Thanks for this! Was really worried I had cocked it up and would need to add more yeast back in

For many, dumping in the hops "commando" is normal procedure. They usually sink to the bottom, then you draw off the beer from above the trub for bottling. If there is a skim of debris on the surface you can just stop the transfer before that goes into the bottling bucket or keg.

And in the future unless there is a specific reason that you need a secondary, skip it. The benefits of secondary - mostly a minor amount of clearing - are far outweighed by the risks - infection and/or oxidation.

Bottle it now. It was probably ready to bottle when you moved it to secondary.

For many, dumping in the hops "commando" is normal procedure. They usually sink to the bottom, then you draw off the beer from above the trub for bottling. If there is a skim of debris on the surface you can just stop the transfer before that goes into the bottling bucket or keg.

And in the future unless there is a specific reason that you need a secondary, skip it. The benefits of secondary - mostly a minor amount of clearing - are far outweighed by the risks - infection and/or oxidation.

Bottle it now. It was probably ready to bottle when you moved it to secondary.

Thanks

Last time I didn’t do a secondary and went straight to bottling from primary. This time I wanted to get the coconut etc in so seemed like a good idea to do a secondary for that step. Been very careful to sanitise so hopefully will be ok but it is funny seeing the difference of opinion amongst experienced brewers between secondary or no secondary!

i once had a batch kegged and on tap i decided was a dumper, but i don't dump. so i poured it out of the keg into my fermenter again and added sugar, ended up having to add yeast to get it to pick up fermentation again. but that keg(s, don't remember) had been sitting in the fridge for a while...i'd say you got enough yeast.

but it is funny seeing the difference of opinion amongst experienced brewers between secondary or no secondary!

I have watched the secondary - no secondary debate change dramatically over the last 8+ years. When I started I would guess it was about 75 - 25 in favor of doing a secondary. Today I would estimate it is 10 - 90 that in favor of doing a secondary.

I have done 2 secondaries in my 109 batches. One was early on and the second was to add wood chips - they wouldn't go easily in my Better Bottle so I actually did the secondary in a bucket. Not the best way... If I did it again I would add the wood chips to the primary in a bucket and do no secondary.

Back