Do apples need to be cored?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewarning

Reaction score
I am going quarter apples to put in my mead, but I was wondering if there's any good reason they need to be cored?

Apple seeds contains a compound which itself contains cyanide. My guess is that mead wouldn't eat through the seeds' outer layer, and so it wouldn't be a probem. Disclaimer: I'm not a toxicologist, so my opinion on this topic is worthless.

I am going quarter apples to put in my mead, but I was wondering if there's any good reason they need to be cored?
It's pretty much a waste of time to put apple pieces in your mead. You'll get very little if any flavor from that. If you want apple then use juice or cider with no preservatives.

Apple seeds contains a compound which itself contains cyanide. My guess is that mead wouldn't eat through the seeds' outer layer, and so it wouldn't be a probem. Disclaimer: I'm not a toxicologist, so my opinion on this topic is worthless.
Doesn't the blossom end of the apple pose a risk of harbored spores, yeast or bacteria?
Coring would seem to reduce that risk.

Back