Cyser Funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onionz

Reaction score
I just started my second cyser and they both developed this funky smell. I used Go-Ferm, 71b yeast, Fermaid-O according to TOSNA recommendation, apple cider, cranberry honey, and spices. The smell of the spices has disappeared and was replaced by this apple funk. Will this age out? Do I need to do anything?
Here's the recipe I used:;
https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/how-to-make-spiced-cyser-apple-mead

Last edited:
Will this age out? Do I need to do anything?

I depends on what you want to do. I personally would never add spices in the primary, for multiple reasons. One being that the yeast could burn the flavors making them pointless. I noticed that when I used oak chips in the primary. There was no oak when it had fermented.

I depends on what you want to do. I personally would never add spices in the primary, for multiple reasons. One being that the yeast could burn the flavors making them pointless. I noticed that when I used oak chips in the primary. There was no oak when it had fermented.
I suspect the yeast has chewed up the flavors. What do I do to have a drinkable mead?

I just started my second cyser and they both developed this funky smell. I used Go-Ferm, 71b yeast, Fermaid-O according to TOSNA recommendation, apple cider, cranberry honey, and spices. The smell of the spices has disappeared and was replaced by this apple funk. Will this age out? Do I need to do anything?
Here's the recipe I used:;
https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/how-to-make-spiced-cyser-apple-mead
Sometimes, apple can give off a funky odor. In my experience, it ages out relatively soon after fermentation is complete. I typically add spices to secondary because a lot of those notes that you're looking to keep get burped out of the airlock.
My suggestion would be to let primary finish, cold crash....(if you have the means), then rack to secondary where you can stabilize & let it bulk age for a couple of months under an airlock in the corner somewhere.
Backsweeten with honey or if you're missing apple flavor, use some frozen apple juice concentrate & reintroduce your spices in a small brew bag for easy extraction when they reach the desired taste.

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading😎

Back