DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceromance

Reaction score
SO here is a newbie question. I was just reading through one thread and Yoop said to not use the canned LME (which I've heard before) and instead use fresh LME from a reputable place like AH (Which I a mdoing) or just using DME.

My question (since I've only used LME) is what is the conversion between DME and LME?? DO I just add a certain amount of DME to a certain amount of water to make the equivalent LME??

"i hate lme"

is there a reason behind this or was it just how you were raised?

I hate the "Steelers".. I grew up a Browns fan... Although Pittsburgh never did anthing to me personally....

oh yeah... Pittsburgh sucks! ( see I can't help it)

sean

I noticed my wheat beer was darker then normal wheat after brewing... Not sure if it changes while fermenting or not.... (its my first)

LME is much more frustrating to work with in my opinion. It's a thick, sticky syrup that doesn't ever want to come out of the container it's being stored in. Also, DME has a much longer shelf life than LME.

LME is much more frustrating to work with in my opinion. It's a thick, sticky syrup that doesn't ever want to come out of the container it's being stored in. Also, DME has a much longer shelf life than LME.

That may be, but LME - $2.50lb DME - $4.60lb at my LHBS

So until I can go All-Grain, LME for me!

I've used way more LME than DME. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with cans as long as they are relatively fresh. "Reputable source" is the key here. Does the place you buy extract from turn it over quickly? My LHBS sells 3.3lb canned LME and 6lb milk jugs of bulk LME. The canned LME rarely sells and I wouldn't trust it. My old LHBS didn't have the bulk LME so all the LME they sold was in cans and they turned it over quickly. I never had a problem with that canned LME.

So basically, if the cans are well within expiration and aren't covered in dust on the shelf, don't be afraid of them. But yeah, the .8 lbs of DME == 1lb LME is the calc I used when converting.

Back