DME carmelization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrundleCruncher

Reaction score
I've been brewing pale ales, and they've been coming out a little darker than I would like. I suspect this is because of the DME getting carmelized in the boil.

I use a secondary pot with hot water to dissolve the DME before I add it and make sure its all dissolved, but it is in the boil for the entire duration of the boil.

Can I wait until the boil is almost done, and if I can how long can I wait?

There are tons of posts about this subject- try a search for "late extract addition". The only thing different to do is to remember that your hops utilization will be greater due to the lower gravity boil. Brewing software is a huge help with figuring this, but I'd guessimate that you could reduce your hops additions by about 20%.

Yooper Chick said:
The only thing different to do is to remember that your hops utilization will be greater due to the lower gravity boil. Brewing software is a huge help with figuring this...

Funny thing...I'm gearing up for partial mash, and using Beersmith to convert my recipes. For extract recipes, the hop utilization calculations work fine...selecting "late boil addition" and a corresponding boil time shows the resulting change in final IBUs. However, when the recipe type is set to partial mash, the software no longer compensates for late extract additions. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

I'm hoping to substitute pale malt for approximately 1/2 of my LME, start my boil with the wort from the partial mash and add the extract in the last 15-20 minutes.

also keep in mind that using LME or DME will give a darker color because of the processes required to make LME and DME.

your best bet is an extra light DME, and a late addition.

Back