DME Boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
So I just started a fairly simple IPA, used some light liquid malt extract and light dry malt extract. Hops, yeast ect... not really a noob anymore to extract brewing have had some decent although simple beers...

BUT... I noticed that my DME looks a little clumpy this time. I can see it, as I am using a glass carboy. There are clumps of the stuff floating on the surface and it looks like obviously it didn't fully break up.

Now, usually I end up boiling everything for quite awhile, however this time I really tried to lessen the time the sugars were boiling to try and come up with a lighter beer...

Anyway, I assume in a few wks the clumps of sugar will sink to the bottom and eventually dissolve and it wont be an issue. Right? Or is this going to be a problem? Cheers!

No problem. You may be seeing yeast instead of DME however. Are you using a new strain than you have in the past? Some strains are more clumpy looking than others. Or is this the first time you used a glass carboy and seen it go to work? I love watching the yeast dance in there!

I haven't brewed extract in a while, but if you did a normal boil, most of those DME clumps should have broken up just from the movement of the wort. If by some chance they did end up staying clumped together and got into your carboy, you won't have any side effects from it. No reason to worry. :mug:

Interesting, I think it might be the yeast?? It is the first time I have started in the carboy. Always something new and fun with home brewing!

I've used DME in the boil for hop additions, as it doesn't darken as readily as LME. Even adding it @ flame out, it has to be stirred well until it completely dissolves before proceeding to the next step. Considering your having done that, it could just be yeast rafts.

Yes, I now believe it was yeast, I didn't realize it started so fast! I had never seen the process visually before bc I always use the plastic pail. I think it probably took less than an hour to appear.

Back