DIY Temp Controller-help locating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman3278

Reaction score
I found a thread on building a temp controller using pcb board and components from Radio Shack you solder in yourself. I since cant find it, unfortunately, so if anyone has it saved or OP reads this please drop a message in.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

What kind of temperature controller was it, ferment, RIMS, etc?

It was a totally home made controller, not one commercially built. It is used for controlling a fridge or could be used on a rig for various uses.

I found one at one point and started making it but gave up and bought a RANCO. You can't buy all the parts for what you can buy a controller. I'll see if I can find it though.

dont forget to add both a fuse and thermal over load i am sure you can source the breaker out of an old power strip same with the switch

that's a great idea for a fermentation controller. but will it work for a kegerator? I had one of those digital thermostats but it could not be set for temps low enough.
So i designed and built my own from parts in a junk drawer.
its a simple comparator with hysteresis.
I took a cheap digital thermometer and removed its thermister. I set the comparator to turn on at 8degC and off at 4deg C. works like a charm.

I did this same setup for my lagering fridge that I had. A hint of advice, be real careful with that little thermistor in the unit and use good wire. I used telephone cable (had some lying around) and had nothing but problems with that. I was going to look at getting a better thermistor but could never figure out what the value was.

Sadly the wife made me get rid of it :-(

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back