DIY Monster Bottle Tree w/ pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently building mine. Note to anyone planning on building there own. I bought 1/2 in pvc. I cut it all up with out testing to see if the bottles would fit over it. So now i have 80 6 inch pieces of 1/2 I.D. pvc. So you need to make sure that the pvc you buy has an O.D. of 1/2 inch.

Oh well that's why i should have checked before i cut. Back to the hardware store.

That SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

I think the idea of using a pump to recirculate sanitizing solution through an entire tree is worth a closer look. You would cap the trunk and put caps with perforations on the branches. Obviously, there would be no screws involved, just pvc branches directly in the main trunk to allow for the flow of sanitizer. I am unsure if you could pump enough through it to get all the way to the top though, especially if your trunk is 4" PVC instead of 2".

My friend uses an aquarium pump to recirculate sanitizing solution held in a 5 gallon bucket through a single 1" piece of pvc, capped at the top with 5 holes drilled into it, then puts a glass carboy upside down on top of the pvc. It sprays sanitizer into the carboy at a continuous rate - very effective. He turns it on and then forgets about it. Sometimes for days, but that isn't the point.

I did this project, and at first tried a variation of just drilling a hole just big enough to jam the 'pvc tree limbs' in at a 45 degree angle. Well put them in an tried several different adhesives to attach them but didn't have anything that would hold sufficiently to support a bottle. So that if you were trying to pump sanitizer through it, you would have to come up with some new way to attach the 'pvp tree limbs'. So just used the screws like knightshifts original.

Mine works great and is nice to have around and cheap to build. Thanks for the idea/plans knightshift.

Drew_101 ... If you are drilling holes and mounting PVC branches into a PVC trunk I would think that PVC primer (to clean) and PVC cement should do nicely if your holes are relatively smooth. Alternately you can use something stong and bulky like subfloor adhesive ... though I have no idea if it subfloor adhesive is anywhere near foodgrade, probably not, it's probably loaded with toxins since most people will never eat off of the subflooring in their home.

I'm thinking if you used schedule 80 pipe for the main trunk, and used a hole saw with an extra long pilot bit, you could drill the branches in at a good angle. Then they could be attached with primer and pvc glue. Somebody try this and get back to me, I'm too lazy. Thanks in advance.

I did this project, and at first tried a variation of just drilling a hole just big enough to jam the 'pvc tree limbs' in at a 45 degree angle. Well put them in an tried several different adhesives to attach them but didn't have anything that would hold sufficiently to support a bottle.

drill holes, insert pipe, then pour a bottle of pvc cement from the top.

Or just fill it with foaming sealant and let that dry inside the trunk? Or both! If that don't hold it good and solid then I'd be very surprised.

Just tossing this out there, when I bottle I use my bottle washer which can wash 10 bottles at a time. Just this morning I did 4 cases in under 30 minutes using it. They go from there directly into the dishwasher. If you completely load up your bottom rack you can get a lot of bottles in there. I then run it without any soap (just rinse agent) on high temp wash with heated dry. I bottle right next to the dishwasher so I can take them directly from the dishwasher, put beer in them, and cap. I just never liked the idea of spending the time to clean the bottles and then letting them sit out in the open for hours drying on a bottle tree. Plus I don't need to store bottle trees anywhere.

Not sure this is the most efficient way of doing things, but I get get good clean and dry bottles inside and out using this method. Best part is that there really isn't any mess and I utilize a tool that I already have.

Nice job. Have you filled it with 22 oz bottles yet? Still standing? I dont use 12s too much any more. If I'm going through the effort I want to minimize my work.

That is a really nice bottle tree. Ironically, it looks like a traditional folklore bottle tree made from cedar or cypress. So, kudos.

Does the rinsing agent affect head retention? Do you get a nice head on your hb when your pour?

I have never had an issue with head on my beers. When evaluating a brew and not just drinking it I use the pour 2/3 down the side and pour the last 1/3vertical into the beer and always seem to have a nice 3/4" to 1 1/2" of head.

With regards to the bottle washing, I think the majority of the "inside" bottle washing is done with my bottle washer setup, and the dishwasher mainly rinses them, sanitizes via heat. My guess is that a very minimal amount of rinse agent actually makes its way inside the bottle. The outside of the bottles clearly get it though, because they feel great.

Used a 3 1/2" OD PVC pipe as the base can get 8 around a single level. I alternated to inbetween bottles every layer so only had to use 1 1/2" vertical space for each row. Use 3/8" pvc as the knobs (1/2" OD). Can fit 88 bottle in 2' vertical high, and that is including the 6" at the bottom for the stand.

I cut the smaller pvc at a 45 angle on one side of each this allows it to meet the vertical pvc flush and gives more stability to each branch.

I am planning on adding a removable tier, spacing things out a bit more so that I can fit the 22's even thinking about adding a vertical post form the footing to dry a carboy or 2.

Just found out that the larger diameter of the vertical PVC allows me to dry my carboy upside down in the center of the tree as well. NICE
891-diy-bottle-carboy-tree.jpg

Built my bottle tree on Saturday similar to bbarr21. The same day I got my Vinator bottle rinser and Dry Irish Stout extract kit from Northern Brewer. On Sunday I bottled the brown ale that was finished fermenting while I brewed up the Irish Stout. This was my 4th batch brewing, the first where I bottled the last batch while brewing the next and it was my easiest brewing day yet. Between the bottle rinser, bottle tree, and having my son cap while I bottled, the entire process went as smooth as silk. It just gets better and better.

Nice job. Have you filled it with 22 oz bottles yet? Still standing? I dont use 12s too much any more. If I'm going through the effort I want to minimize my work.

Yes Indeed! I just did 16 Bombers (22 oz bottles) 4 Flippies (16 oz bottles) and 16 12 oz bottles all on the same tree. no problems. put the bombers on the bottom, flippies in the middle, 12s on top. Looked like a beer bottle Christmas Tree!!! :)

here is another option.. if you want to build a sanitation bottle tree

you are going to use a 1/2" or maybe smaller sch40 PVC street 45° bend.

drill hole in pipe 1/2" insert 1/2" street 45°
put shot 6" piece of 1/2" sch40 pvc into the 45.

put a cap at the top and bottom and fashion your pump

now this is all in theory, im not sure how well the pump would do at filling the bottles at the top however.

-=jason=-

Is a sanitizer/cleaner bottling tree really worth all that effort? Just do it by hand or start kegging your beer. A sanitation bottling tree is way overthinking. However, I'm certain that this post is like me shouting into an empty room and this is all falling on deaf ears. This forum is a wonderful waste of time at work and great for those overthinkers and engineers out there.

im going to keg my first batch so for me no its not worth it, but for the guy who likes to DIY and get technical at the same time yeah maybe it is worth it.

to each is own and it takes all kinds.

-=Jason=-

Do you like to do it yourself? Oh man, you set me up on that one. I agree, I just wanted to play the contrarion.

I believe this was brought up earlier in the thread. Why are those PVC condoms needed. Why cant i just mount the bottles on the drywall screws after spraying the rack down with starsan?

(Quick tip: I always leave starsan in a spray bottle (empty windex bottle) it makes for quick and easy sanitizing.)

Finished this project today and I am going to try it out for the first time tomorrow. Thanks nightshift

I am all about DIY but for $28 I bought a premade one

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=909

I already had the vinator which sits right on top. Built in drip catcher on the bottom. For a couple bucks you can get one more layer that will hold 9 more bottles. I am thinking this whole setup saves me about 1/2 hour on bottling day. If you bottle, whether you buy or build one get one.

I've been bottling for awhile now and never used a tree. Serious question, do you not have a dishwasher?

I load my dishwasher with my bottles a few hours before bottling time and run it with no soap and high heat to pasteurize the bottles. Works great and is easy. I don't have to scrub each bottle as long as I've rinsed them after drinking them last time.

Never had a contaminated batch either.

Does anyone else use the dishwasher?

I've been bottling for awhile now and never used a tree. Serious question, do you not have a dishwasher?

I load my dishwasher with my bottles a few hours before bottling time and run it with no soap and high heat to pasteurize the bottles. Works great and is easy. I don't have to scrub each bottle as long as I've rinsed them after drinking them last time.

Never had a contaminated batch either.

Does anyone else use the dishwasher?

+1. I do the same. I run the dishwasher with bottles the night before bottling. I also sanitize them with Starsan the day of and place them back into the dishwasher to drain while I start racking my beer.

As someone else pointed out, I may just get a commercially available bottle tree if I ever feel the need to augment my routine. It's easier to put away. This DIY tree is nice and cheap but where can you hide that monster?

Just finished building the tree based on your design, Knightbridge. Great idea! I used one of those big Christmas tree stands to hold it up. The recess in the stand is big enough to catch any drips from the bottles. I paid 1.00 for it at a garage sale. Thanks for the DIY.:mug:

PIGMAN said:
Just finished building the tree based on your design, Knightbridge. Great idea! I used one of those big Christmas tree stands to hold it up. The recess in the stand is big enough to catch any drips from the bottles. I paid 1.00 for it at a garage sale. Thanks for the DIY.:mug:

Love the stand idea

Thanks for the great project & pics. I love to DIY & customize, especially if it can be done for less than buying. Extra kudos to posts by knightshift (OP & #26) & bbarr21 (#57 & #58) for the details (& pic showing it doesn't take up much more floorspace than a carboy). :mug:

My 2 hypothetical additions/changes:

- Rotation. I have a plastic 45 bottle tree & really appreciate that it rotates for ease of loading/unloading. Has anyone tried to add casters, or a lazy susan bearing underneath their build? Maybe just some little furniture sliders would be enough, depending on what your tree is standing on.
It would add a few bucks to part list, but worth it IMO. Just search for 'lazy susan' on ebay (& sort by price), amazon (in Tools & Home Improvement), etc.. Just be careful with the build to avoid making it wobbly. :drunk:

- PVC cement: I am also weary of broken or sheared drywall screws. I'm sure this is low enough a risk if you're careful loading & unloading (to not bend/flex a branch too hard). I'd also like to reduce the risk of rust eventually making its way to the lip of some bottles.
I'd cut the 1/2" pipes at 45' angle on one end, liberally apply PVC cement to that end, & sliding it down over the screws. The top & bottom of the junction should form a strong bond. Using purple primer on both sides before the cement is worth it. Any remaining gap (on the sides of the junction) would be sealed with a bit of silicone sealant. Using a larger diameter center pipe will minimize gapping on the sides of the joints.
On second thought, PVC bonds are pretty strong so I'd test this out on one branch 1st without the screw. It would probably be plenty strong enough & let me skip the sealant (since no rust). Not having to drill all those holes would be nice. Would definitely use a large diameter center pipe to maximize surface contact of the pipes.

Since I still have other things I need more, I'll probably never get to this. But, I'll put it on my list as relatively 'kid friendly' project. (Get 'em started young!) If it works out, I an always sell or give away my current tree. ;)

I started this project last night. I have cut all the "arms" and I started drilling the holes this morning. I should finish this up tonight. I was thinking of using our Christmas tree stand as the base - thoughts? (I think I someone on here do that)

I started this project last night. I have cut all the "arms" and I started drilling the holes this morning. I should finish this up tonight. I was thinking of using our Christmas tree stand as the base - thoughts? (I think I someone on here do that)

Someone about 3 or 4 posts up from you did just that and said it worked well. Hey, if it can hold a 50lb (?) Christmas tree up, I bet it can hold your bottle tree!

Anyone been using this for a good bit of time who can report on it's durability? I was thinking of putting a wooden dowel inside the PVC to further stabilize the screws, but I suppose any liquid that travels the threads of the screws would get to the wood and that wouldn't be great. Perhaps some silicone on the screws near base of PVC...hmmm

Uggh I just bought 1/2" ID PVC like the other guy on here and cant find anything smaller in any of the 3 hardware stores around here. Where do people find smaller PVC?

Latest posts

Back