DIY Keggle Conversion (video!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, since I'm making a keggle, I thought I'd try my hand at a .

So far, it's kind of a "gee whiz, so that's what a plasma cutter looks like" video, but I plan on adding some more informative portions about drilling, fittings, cleaning (maybe), etc. It's my first digital video effort ever, recorded on our fairly new digital camera, edited with Windows Movie Maker (didn't even know that was on my computer before today!). Let me know what you think!

Oh yeah...no flames about welding/cutting in a short sleeved shirt. I know...it's a no-no...oops.

Last edited by a moderator:
1:42. Slowpoke!

Damn, that's cool - I haven't seen a plasma cutter before. Discovery channel should follow you around for a weekend and tape all the cool **** you build (and cut apart) :D

It's much faster than a cutting disk and requires about the same amount of cleanup around the edges. The down side? A plasma cutter is easily 10 times more expensive than a cutoff tool.

However, if you don't have any tools capable of cutting metal, the minimal amount of time/labor required for a professional to plasma cut your keg top translates to very little cost. A nice guy would do it for a couple of beers.

4688-keggleaftercutting.JPG

()

I tried to be as informative as possible without spending a lot of time on any one thing. The subtitled format might be slightly annoying. I think I may have to bite the bullet and narrate the next one. Opinions definitely appreciated!

Yuri_Rage said:
A nice guy would do it for a couple of beers.

I found a nice guy cut the top off of mine for a couple of beers! pics of that soon,but video looks great! When I watched part 2 the vid did cut out shortly after the final weld subtitle. In general I think the subtitles are a fine way to go

Bernie Brewer said:
Nice videos, Yuri! One thing: Where are your safety glasses???
Thanks for all of the positive feedback! Sometimes I guess I'm a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guy. I'm not making excuses. I was wearing safety glasses when using the air sander, but I forgot to put them back on before the drilling sequence. I suppose if I'm making these kinds of videos, I should pay more attention to that sort of thing (for multiple reasons).

Oh...I guess it shouldn't say, "Stay tuned for part 3," but rather, "Part 3...coming soon!" I'll be making that one today.

Nice Yuri.

:off: I noticed it looked like you were wearing a T-shirt that had xx (couldn't make out the #) Flying SQ on the back. Are you or were you in the Air Force?

Lil' Sparky said:
I noticed it looked like you were wearing a T-shirt that had xx (couldn't make out the #) Flying SQ on the back. Are you or were you in the Air Force?
Yup (currently active duty)! There are a few posts about what I do, but I usually don't say much about it here. PM me if you want to know more!

A wonderfully helpful (and encouraging) video. This makes me wish I still lived in Albuquerque so I could have at least a chance of seeing some of your creations.

Thanks!

Moon

Several homebrews, a few distractions, and 3 hours later...

I kept the subtitle format, and I tried to be fairly safety minded. I did weld in a short-sleeved shirt...again... Old (bad) habits die hard I guess.

Bonus points if anyone can tell what bar I got my shirt from!

Yuri_Rage said:
Well, any paint thinner I used for cleaning came after the plasma cutting...am I too drunk to get the joke?

Yes, but don't worry. I am too drunk to get it too. :drunk:

Seriously, a most excellent write up. I'd love to learn more about welding stainless...

Is the reason you are "Tim Allen's Clone" because you seem to have every tool known to man?

Great video write-up Yuri. Now can you do one for someone who doesn't have all of those fancy tools? :D

Yuri
Great videos. Have you ever thought of concaving the bottom of your keg? It works really good using a 8# sledge this does a couple of things
1 you can get more of the liquid out of the keg when emptying
2 if you use hops without a bag ( not that any of us do)you can whirlpool and the hops will collect on the concaved center
3 causes the flame to stall out under the keggle thus using less fuel and being more efficient
also I like how you used the flux. how does the weld look on the inside? I have been cutting my cupplers in half (get two for the price of one) and turning a lip into them to 7/8" about 3/16" deep and tig welding them from the inside without any filler rod. it works really good but a pain to weld from the inside.
anyway just some thoughts

:off: thanks again for the stir plate I have been using the hell out of it
JJ

jaybird said:
also I like how you used the flux. how does the weld look on the inside? I have been cutting my cupplers in half (get two for the price of one) and turning a lip into them to 7/8" about 3/16" deep and tig welding them from the inside without any filler rod. it works really good but a pain to weld from the inside.
The welds look pretty clean on the inside. I tried to show it in the video, but the shot is too far away to see any detail.

Similar to kladue's suggestion, I like your technique of turning a lip into the coupler and welding from the inside - wish I'd have thought of that! However, I like to keep both sides of the coupler. That way you can add fittings (pickup tube, hops screen, stainless braid, manifold, etc) to the inside.

I have a stupid question. I just found an empty (Guinness) keg rolling around the field I was playing tag rugby in. It of course went in the car. It says 'Caution, pressurised - do not tamper'. How should I depressurise it safely??
Cheers
Kenmc

kenmc said:
I have a stupid question. I just found an empty (Guinness) keg rolling around the field I was playing tag rugby in. It of course went in the car. It says 'Caution, pressurised - do not tamper'. How should I depressurise it safely??
Cheers
Kenmc
Drink the contents. Either use a disconnected Sanke fitting or a blunt, non-metallic object to press the ball down away from the seal. It's probably wise to lay the keg on its side so you don't get a bunch of beer/foam spraying up at you while you do that.

but surely I'll be cutting the top off anyway, to turn it into a keggle? what difference does it make if the seal is broken?(i know I didn't say so in the first place, but I figured it was in the right thread..)

That video was awesome!!! It shows exactly what to do. I am wondering since I have not yet brewed beer, if I should go directly to the keg rather than pay $100 plus for a Stainless Steel Kettle only to go to a keg style anyway. Any suggestions???

Thanks
Harris

Fantastic videos! I, in fact, picked up a keg this week. I have been waiting for 4 days to get the OK to bring the keg into the mill that I work at to get the top plasma'd. Got the go-ahead this afternoon and I will bring it in on Tuesday. I will probably add the coupling at the same time. What size coupler did you use?

Just saw the video, and now I want a plasma torch !

It's doing really nice job. I'll try to find someone in town who has that just to try.

I cut my kegs with an angle grinder with a few discs for stainless. Took long time.
I welded the inserts with a mig/mag and I'm pleased with the results but I'll have to fit other inserts for thermometers. I might try your technique.

I am wondering since I have not yet brewed beer, if I should go directly to the keg rather than pay $100 plus for a Stainless Steel Kettle only to go to a keg style anyway. Any suggestions???

Harris

you can always make smaller batches in a keggle if you think you will be moving up later. the keggle weighs a bit more, but that is the only drawback. if i find another keggle, i might cut it down to 7 gallon size for smaller boils.
i made a keggle, but didn't have a plasma cutter available, so tried it with my dewalt 18 volt reciprocating saw (sawzall type saw). took about 5 minutes and only wore out one blade, then finished up the edge with an angle grinder with paint stripper wheel(flaps of sandpaper on a conical wheel).
I also did not have access to welding eqpt, so i used threaded fittings. i pieced it together from lowes, but there is a kit for that.

but surely I'll be cutting the top off anyway, to turn it into a keggle? what difference does it make if the seal is broken?(i know I didn't say so in the first place, but I figured it was in the right thread..)

If you don't release the pressure before you start cutting it's going to blow beer into your face. My thoughts are that getting beer blown in your face can't be all that bad (just a little messy) but it might not be too pleasant if a small piece of that hot metal gets blown into your face.

I'm going to attempt this tomorrow. Should I try to back weld the inside in case I use it for anything except a boil kettle? I'm thinking some amount of the weld protrudes through the back side, right. If so, as long as I scrub it prior to brewing it should be O.K. Let me know what ya'll are thinking. - Dwain

Back