DIY Kegerator door ideas?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximAvs

Reaction score
So I got my kegerator (Sanyo SR4912) off Craigslist, and it's been working great. I've decided to add tap handles to the front, but rather than drill holes though the front of the door, I thought I would build a new door out of rigid insulation and Masonite (peg board material without the holes). That way I can keep the door incase I ever want to use it as a regular fridge again.
The issue I'm running into is I can't find a cheap enough mini fridge to steal the door seal gasket off of.
Has anyone ever bought or came across just generic refrigerator door gasket anywhere?
I'll keep searching CL for a cheap (read as free) mini fridge I can cannibalize.

Thanks guys!
Sean

I've never seen just a gasket somewhere... I suppose you could always get some weather stripping and seal the door yourself as you would a door in your house... You would probably need a latch or something to hold the door secure though as the magnetic seal would be gone.

Sounds odd...why would you go through all that trouble to put taps through the door on a mini-fridge? I assume you have a tower on it? Why not extend the tower and toss in additional taps that way?

I've seen a post where someone installed a kezzer collar on a kegerator to increase capacity, perhaps you could use the collar as a location to stub out the taps...this would save the door.

Post a pick...I'd like to see what you have.

Keep trolling craigslist. You san usually find one that isn't working someone wants to "give" away. Also, try a local repair shop they might have an old one you can have. Luck - Dwain

@woodstone. I don't have a tower on it. It's just a mini fridge. I was going to put taps throughout the door, but was trying to find an alternative to wrecking the original door. So I thought I'd build a door.

@woodstone. I don't have a tower on it. It's just a mini fridge. I was going to put taps throughout the door, but was trying to find an alternative to wrecking the original door. So I thought I'd build a door.

Ah, got it. Why not simply install a tower, then? You can whip one up with PVC from the local hardware store, spray it black, pop two taps through it, done and for relatively cheap $$$...probably less money and time then trying to work up a second door.

Would love to see pics when done...interesting idea.

I'd just throw a tower on it, or drill the door. If you ever wanted a real fridge again it'd be pretty easy to sell that one as a kegerator and buy an uncut one later...

If you really want to find a gasket though, maybe try a local appliance repair shop, or scrap yard? You could probably pull enough off of a fullsize fridge there to make one for a smaller fridge.

I think if I had a mini fridge that was still being mass produced, or bigger name (ie Fridgedair) I think the gasket would have been easier to get a hold of.

@krazydave - I'm sort of leaning that way. Finding a full size fridge gasket and piecing it together.

This all sounds a little funky, but if it turns out the way I'm thinking, it will be awsome.
I will post pics.

Sean

Sounds like a lot of trouble to save the door on a cheap fridge. I'd think that after converting it into a kegerator you could sell it for more than you could as a fridge...

Homercidal said:
Sounds like a lot of trouble to save the door on a cheap fridge. I'd think that after converting it into a kegerator you could sell it for more than you could as a fridge...

My wife agrees with you. Maybe I'll go ahead and put the taps through the door.

Thanks for everyones help.
Sean

Latest posts

Back