DIY Fermentation Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeBetterBrewing

Sour Head in CO
Reaction score
Ability to hold 3 fermenters. Temp pretty controlled in the basement during winter.
what do you think?
8607F6AE-F3FF-4891-916A-3D338F085B13.jpeg

How sturdy is it? Have you tested it out with 3 full fermenters to see if it is stable (use water for the test)?

I think I'd put a couple diagonal braces on the back and maybe on the side too. Remember a square shape can collapse (to a diamond shape, and flatter), while a triangle will remain ridged.

How sturdy is it? Have you tested it out with 3 full fermenters to see if it is stable (use water for the test)?

I think I'd put a couple diagonal braces on the back and maybe on the side too. Remember a square shape can collapse (to a diamond shape, and flatter), while a triangle will remain ridged.
My plan is to get doors on it and complete it. There is 2x going across on the bottom for support.

My plan is to get doors on it and complete it.
Keep in mind, ferm chambers are designed to help keeping temps of the fermenting beer constant or regulate it. They can also help minimize fluctuations, and giving you the ability to cool or warm the fermenter(s) as needed.

Every yeast has an optimal temp range for clean fermentation, so you want to stay within or close to it for "best" results. Exceptions noted.

Fermentation is exothermic, it generates heat, that may need to be driven off or by actively cooling the fermenters to stay within that range and keep it as steady as can be.

During cold spells or nights, some extra heat may need to be added, to keep ferm temps from dropping too low.

Toward the end of the active fermentation things slow down, as does heat production. You may need to add some warmth to keep the yeast going, preventing it from going dormant too soon and not finishing all the way. Beer that's not fully fermented may cause problems with bottling. The conditioning phase usually also benefits from some extra warmth.

And keep your beer in the dark. Lightstruck beer tastes skunky.

Latest posts

Back