DIY All Frigidaire All Refrigerator/Freezerless Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwpowell

Reaction score
I started converting my pretty nice garage full-size refrigerator into a kegerator using the Ultimate 2 Keg Door Mount Homebrew Kegerator Conversion Kit from BeverageFactory.com.

My garage fridge was (keyword was) pretty nice with plenty of room for kegs as well as bottles and cans. The glass shelves would need some reinforcing though. I didn't want the taps/drip tray on the door because I was worried about people knocking into it as well as the hoses getting in the way when people open the door to get bottles/cans out. I decided to put my taps on the side instead of the front. I did a lot of research and was very careful looking at parts diagrams and using the cornstarch and alcohol approach to find lines. I even went careful with my holesaw, only penetrating the plastic and then feeling around for lines before continuing (see pics below). The first hole went great, but somehow on the second hole I felt around and missed the line that was there and I nicked it--whoooooosh! That was the end of that refrigerator and needless to say my wife was pissed. So now I needed to find a new fridge that was inexpensive, would fit my kegs and also needed the broken fridge hauled away. Off to Home Depot.

The salesperson pointed me to the Frigidaire FFRU17B2QW 16.7 cu. ft. Freezerless Refrigerator. I never used the freezer anyway and it has a nice sturdy bottom rather than glass with drawers that need reinforcing. If you take the CO2 bottle out and cut the bottom door shelf you could actually get 6 kegs on the bottom. I only need room for my 2 kegs and CO2 bottle.

I decided to mount my taps at 45" from the bottom of the door, centering the taps on 3". I went with a 3" center in case I ever want a stainless drip tray that hangs on the tap shanks. In addition, I can easily add more taps in future with this setup.

I drilled two 7/8" holes with a hole saw for the shanks. The door is pretty solid, so no need for a bushing (the kit recommended cutting a 1" pvc pipe which would involve drilling a larger hole in the front than inside the fridge).

I removed the bottom 2 shelves--I actually could I have only removed 1 as the shelf clears the kegs--but I wanted enough room to comfortably move things around. The refrigerator also comes with this plastic cover on the bottom that you can easily remove. As you can see in the picture, I could get another 2 kegs on the bottom with the CO2 bottle and if I built a platform, could get another row of kegs in there. To top things off, I got a magnetic whiteboard that looks like a blackboard.

I haven't seen many people converting the Frigidaire freezerless refrigerator to a kegerator except for one person on this forum--I didn't even realize they made full-size refrigerators without freezers. It's a really good option for a kegerator and can also store a ton of drinks and party trays on the shelves.

kegerator1.jpg

kegerator2.jpg

holemarks.jpg

inside.jpg

taps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
duude, nice build!
im a little confused, the top picture shows a fridge with the black surround...was that your previous? looks like your newest is the white one?
also, im assuming that corona light is for friends?? :p

Getting Harder and Harder to find anything simple and cheap these day...
Been looking for a Refrigerator Only also. But for the Kitchen..No need for a freezer since I have a Upright Freezer..

I am waiting for those expensive twodoor models to come down and start seeing people using them for Kegerators...Kegs on on side...Bottles and Can on the otherside...With a Double door you wouldn't have to worry about dragging hoses except when Ya blow a keg.

duude, nice build!
im a little confused, the top picture shows a fridge with the black surround...was that your previous? looks like your newest is the white one?
also, im assuming that corona light is for friends?? :p

The top pics are the fridge I broke hitting the lines in the side and that's my wife's beer!

Back