Disappointing aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daggermark

Reaction score
I've just had my first bottle of my latest brew and, whilst I'm actually pretty pleased with it, I think the aroma lets it down.

It was a 1 gallon brew with almost all Maris Otter (a little carapils). I mashed at around 64c for 1hr. I bittered with Chinook and added 5g Amarillo/2g Chinook on flameout. I dry hopped with 20g Amarillo for 5 days after 2.5 weeks of primary fermentation. I used Mangrove Jack M44 yeast.

I felt the aroma was a bit subdued and maybe more pine than the orange/citrus I was expecting from Amarillo. It also smelt very slightly 'damp'. I've been through the catalogue of 'off flavours' and can't quite pinpoint it. It almost smells like a pilsner, but not the 'corn' of DMS.

The initial taste was more what I'd associated with Chinook too - I was expecting more grapefruit/orange from my hop profile. The finish was very bitter and dry, as I treated my water to get that real west coast ipa bite.

Any suggestions what may be slightly amiss here?

Depending on the place, time and grower, your hops can have different flavor/aroma profiles. I always take a good huff of my hops when I open the package to see what I will get in regards to aroma. When I taste hops, to me the bitterness is different than the bitterness after boiling, so I don’t taste my hops anymore, but if you smell them, you can get an idea of what you will get. Then if you have an off flavor later you have a reference so you can troubleshoot it.

Latest posts

Back