Didnt make starter did my yeast die?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
My third brew ever and my first with with liquid yeast. I didnt know to make a starter until after I pitched (of course). Also I wasnt able to check my SG because the graduated cylinder I used to hold the wort for reading broke :(. So I cannot even check for a drop in gravity. The airlock was bubbling the first 3 days and has now ceased. This is also the first batch I have made using my freezer with a temp controller. I doubt that has anything to do with it but it has been at a pretty steady 63 degrees.

Would hate to repitch when its not needed as I got this extract kit online and dont have a local homebrew store where I live and would have to order the yeast. Any advice or ideas?

Whats the recipe, estimated starting gravity, and yeast strain Wyeast or White Labs? A little more info will help, but if you still have Krausen its actively fermenting and airlock activity for three days is ok and normal for some strains then they settle down and finish up their work. Remember, they're only making CO2 for part of the process, not all of it.

Its the irish red ale extract kit from northern brewer. The SG was supposed to be 1.040 and I used wyeast 1272. As for the Krausen I cannot say at this moment because I'm away from my house but will check and update when I return. Dunnno if this matters but when I opened my chest freezer to check on it some form of gas started stinging my eyes when I leaned in. Its my first time using the chest freezer and was wondering what that was the beer was giving off.

Its the irish red ale extract kit from northern brewer. The SG was supposed to be 1.040 and I used wyeast 1272. As for the Krausen I cannot say at this moment because I'm away from my house but will check and update when I return. Dunnno if this matters but when I opened my chest freezer to check on it some form of gas started stinging my eyes when I leaned in. Its my first time using the chest freezer and was wondering what that was the beer was giving off.

You got some CO2 stinging your eyes. I'd just leave the beer alone for 2 weeks and then test it with the hydrometer, assuming you can get a new test jar by then. I suspect that with a 1.040 beer you are fine without a starter.

I did the exact same thing with a slightly larger beer recently (and different yeast). I left mine in primary for 3 weeks, with no temperature control, in an old, badly insulated house in Norway, with fluctuating outside temps down to -15 Celsius, which made it difficult to maintain stable indoor temperatures above 15 C at the worst (!).

After just two weeks in bottle, the beer is amazing! :rockin: :mug:

Next brew, though, I'll make a starter, because now I know I should ;)

Since your beer (probably) has a lower OG than mine, I think you're fine. Some say you only need a starter for beers > 1.060.

you are fine, you only really need a start for brews higher then 1.060 in gravity and even then I don't make them for my beers unless they get to at least 1.07+ Since you used Wyeast the activator pouch should tell right there if the yeast was viable.

Could I take a hydrometer reading and get a final gravity based off what the site where I bought the kit said the SG was and find out if it is done fermenting? Or would I have to have the exact SG of what my wort started as? The reason I ask is because on my first two batches I didn't transfer to a secondary. This time I was planning on giving the beer about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks in the primary and then racking it to my secondary. Suggestions on this?

What are you going to do with the beer once you have it in the secondary? Look at it, add hops or fruit? If none of those fit, why secondary? Just leave it in the fermenter for the yeast to finish its work.

To look at it I guess and maybe clear it up a bit. I just have this cool looking glass carboy withe nothing but air inside. Guess its not the best time to try it considering my hydrometer problem. I will just leave it in there for about 3 weeks total then bottle that bad boy.

Could I take a hydrometer reading and get a final gravity based off what the site where I bought the kit said the SG was and find out if it is done fermenting?

You need to check the gravity a couple times until you get a consistent reading over three days to figure out your final gravity (FG). The consistent FG reading over a few days is the yeasts way of telling you they've done all they can with the sugars in the beer...or you can do like me (and maybe some others) is wait 3 weeks and bottle or keg.

The starting gravity (SG) has nothing to do with what the final gravity will wind up being. SG is basically just a goal to shoot for on brew day.

If you are vigilant in following your Extract kit's instructions, it's difficult to miss the manufacturer's estimated Starting Gravity. You should assume that you nailed the estimated SG for your kit, fix the hydrometer situation, and everything will be peachy!

Back