Did my first extract to AG conversion go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
I converted an extract recipe to AG.

The beer has been sitting for a few weeks now and the FG won't go below 1.014. Even though beersmith calculated it to go to 1.0

Yesterday I looked at the beer and a weird green film was formed on top.

It almost looks like mold. Am I correct?

31974_10150184193400046_508205045_12232826_2993139_n.jpg

Whatever it is, it doesn't look like something you would want to drink. You can probably just rack from underneath it though, or try to skim it off the top.

From what I have read, extracts are less fermentable than what you get from an AG batch. That being said, your gravity is probably about right, but we can't really tell without knowing you starting gravity. There should be little to no fermentation going on after "a few weeks" anyway, so you should probably be good to bottle at this point.

Side note: I'm pretty sure that beersmith just calculates for an attenuation of 75% and gives that as your final gravity. Obviously, this may or may not be the case in real life.

I doubt you'd want to drink a beer that went to 1.000! That usually means it's infected. The lowest (by design) I've ever had a beer go was 1.007 and it wasn't that easy to get that low! A FG of 1.014 is fine for most beers.

It sure looks like you've got some mold or something there, though. I'd rack from underneath it and either bottle it or put it in a carboy and keep an eye on it.

Back