did i just ruin my batch of cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover556

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing/fermenting and i just did up a batch of (hopefully) hard cider using 1 gallon of 100% apple juice from the store, fresh made mango puree, and 1 pound of dark brown sugar slowly bringing the whole mixture to a rolling boil until everything was smoothly blended. Then, just like i was told i poured the cooled mixture back into the original gallon juice bottle leaving a good 2'' of clearance. However, unlike my first batch i bought a packet of Cooper brewers yeast and i re-hydrated it before adding it to the cooled mixture. i am also using a home made airlock this time too. Almost immediately i had a good head forming on the top i was quite pleased with how the yeast was working until i saw it was forcing white foam thru my airlock. My concern is did i just ruin my cider batch by not leaving enough head space?

Not ruined, quickly remove the airlock, wash and sanitise then put it back.

While its still going, its pumping out CO2 and keeping the oxygen away. So as long as you are quick, any infection risk will be negligible.

I cleaned it etc. wiped the foam of that had over flowed and put it back on. Instantly foam was being forced thru it again. How often should i take it of and clean it?

Maybe consider setting up a blow off tube?

See if you got some tube small enough to fit into the hole on top of your fermenter (snug fit) and run the other end into a cup or something filled with water/vodka

Maybe consider setting up a blow off tube?

See if you got some tube small enough to fit into the hole on top of your fermenter (snug fit) and run the other end into a cup or something filled with water/vodka

This.

I've noticed that my cider was way more active than most of my previous beers. Not using a blow off tube is asking for trouble early on, imo.

I ended up drawing off some of my cider to drop the level but its still bubbling merrily away in my air lock. Haha im not used to the sound and i spent a half hour tracking down what the heck was making that sound!

Back