Did I break a HB law today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drizzt

Reaction score
I promised the SWMBO that she could scrapbook all day today. I would watch the kids (boys 2 and 5) do laundry cook dinner wash dishes take Xmas crap down and everything else. I decided to squeeze an all grain brew in apparently cause I have mental issues and realized as I was cooling the wort that I finished the whole batch with out actually drinking any beer. I am not sure what I need to do to atone for my sins.

What? No beers during the brew session? Unfathomable. But, fear not, it's never too late to have some beers. Start drinking and keep going until you see airlock activity. This might take some time, so you might want to clear your calendar for several hours or more. But you'll sure have some fun. :drunk:

I never start drinking bee until I've got wort coming through my plate chiller into my fermentor. I've found this makes for an unbelievably smooth brewday. Last three brewdays were "dry", if you will, and I've had zero problems or gimmicks. I've been consistently hitting temperatures and volumes each time, and all around I feel more accomplished for being more accurate and efficient. I love drinking homebrews, but not at the price of ruining a batch of homebrew while brewing! Cheers and happy brewing!

Say 10 Hail Marys, and depending on if you have to get up early for work tomorrow, grab a sixer of something..say a Triple or Quad and enjoy the rest of the evening. :mug:

Ok I have certainly had some tipsy brew days but nothing ever goes right for me so I stopped caring. I just finished my first year of HB. I suck but I make beer. Feel sorry form my poor HB club that has to drink my stuff.

apparently cause I have mental issues

LOL at this part!

I rarely drink when I brew, and I have at most one beer after the hot break. Even sober, I've burned my boob (don't ask), flooded my house, boiled over about half of my wort, and had other minor incidences. I can't imagine what I'd do if I was drinking! :drunk:

Next batch, make sure you sacrifice a bottle of homebrew into the mash and beg the beer gods for forgiveness.

Edit: Also, +1 on the RESTRAINED drinking while brewing. I typically usually have a Hot Scotchie while sparging, a beer during the boil, and maybe one during the chill. If I'm doing only one batch (I typically do double headers), I may add a beer during the mash.

The hell with not drinking beer, how in the heck did you manage to do all that plus brew a full on all grain brew, are you superman?

No drinking for me until I've put the fermenter to bed. I have poor judgment sober. Brewing I'm dealing with flammable propane, 8 gallons of boiling wort, and glass that could seriously cut me.

I also try to keep things sanitary, meet mash temps and times.

Quick, drink a homebrew and spin twice counterclockwise with a bottle cap on your head or risk infecting the batch...

It's the only way to break the curse.

LOL at this part!

I rarely drink when I brew, and I have at most one beer after the hot break. Even sober, I've burned my boob (don't ask), flooded my house, boiled over about half of my wort, and had other minor incidences. I can't imagine what I'd do if I was drinking! :drunk:

I'm asking about all of these.

I don't think I've ever had a beer until I've gotten my current beer into a fermenter. Usually on my brew days I'm also cooking dinner, so it usually is brew, fermenter, fill everything with water and PBW, cook dinner, clean while dinner is cooking, serve food and finally have a beer.

I've never had anything to drink yet when I've been brewing. Partly is I'd rather drink Homebrew at this moment. It seems to have more sanctity. But mostly because i've never had any homebrew, it's all been finished well before I get my next batch going.

Depends on the time of day I get things going. I've never gotten wasted brewing because I'm usually mashing in around 10-11am, kinda early to be gettin ripped with any kind of objectives in mind. If you plan on doing so, sure have a blast. Haven't had any serious mishaps while drinking and brewing, but then I use timers and have the fair share of the work done before putting back any excess. +1 on moderation. If, however, you have two kids to look after, I don't even understand how you managed an AG batch at all, so, I think the point is moot.

No beer until the work is done. I learned the hard way(after many many drunken attempts). Its one of the only rules I live by.

I only brew when I know I will be able to drink. Sure mistakes will sometimes happen, but that's just part of the challenge.

Having a few beers during brewing is relaxing. 1 during the mash, 1 during the boil, & another during chilling & clean up. Never been a problem.

Usually I've had a beer or two during boil, sometimes one while waiting for the water to boil. My first AG attempt I didn't have anything until the wort was boiling. I assume it will turn into one during mash, one or two during boil and then some after the fact. Beer in that quantity doesn't get me drunk or even to a point where I'm making mistakes. I tend to limit myself well if need be.

I don't drink while brewing anymore. I downed two 24oz'rs & 3/4's bottle of vodka once & passed out after the mash,sparge,& bittering addition. Woke up some 45 minutes later & finished it. It was a clearer batch of hybrid lager though...:drunk:

I'm an early morning brewer. Usually start between 7-8am. I'm usually finishing up around 11am-12pm and will then have a beer. Sometimes I'll have a beer while brewing around 9-10am, abut that's rare.

BUT on very cold days, I will occasionally pull some wort and make a hot-scotchy! They help warm you up on a cold brew day.

Back