Diastatic malt extract syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberdavidrobert

Reaction score
I read in a British Bitter recipe two types of malt extract syrup: Diastatic and Premium. Any idea who markets Diastatic? And what makes this distinction?

Diastatic malt extracts contain the saccharification enzymes needed to convert starches to sugars, while non-diastatic malt extracts lack those enzymes. The former are often favored by bakers over the latter. A quick search shows an extensive list of manufacturers, and you can find diastatic malt extracts on Amazon.

tbh, I'm curious how a diastatic malt extract would be used in practice vs "normal" malt extract (which is malt already converted into sugar). Would one use the diastatic power of the extract to convert unmalted adjuncts?

Cheers!

diastatic power of the extract to convert unmalted adjuncts?

my guess too, oat stout, or hefe...i'm curious if maybe the proccess of making a syrup that doesn't denature the enzymes also could change the flavor? or do they add the enzymes back to it?

edit: how would you even keep the enzymes in syrup? a 5 minute mash? crash chill trough a plate chiller, and freeze dry?

Back