diagnose these hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebshiff21

Reaction score
img00003201008131826.jpg

Plants are on a balcony in a very large planter. Any tips would be appreciated, I gave my buddy a rhizome and it's sort of petered aout at about 7 ft and doesn't look very healthy.

it almost looks like heat damage. is there a dryer vent close by?

I was thinking heat. My hops are SUN BURNED. I've been thinking it's a terrible year for me. I've learned from last years mistakes, I've tried even more than last year and my hops look like the above. I'm sure in my case it's heat. I chimed in another thread that my Zeus changed sex. I think it's heat related, but that's just me. A non-pro 2nd year grower. Shrugs...

Hmmm, I didn't even think of that but I suppose that could be it as well. It's been hotter this year in NE Ohio than I can ever remember, most of the summer has been over 90F during the day.

Thanks for all the advice. Might be nutrient deficiency, I don't think he fertilized. He also has a small basil plant in the same planter which I didn't know about until now. Could that be it?

I think it might be heat. It's been averaging 95F everyday for the past 2 months here in Reno and my hops look very much like that. You can't do much about that, but you can certainly try fertilizing. Maybe that will help the plants cope with the heat/sun.

I've heard from an episode of Basic Brewing Radio that Hops do look beat up toward the end of the season, especially the lower part. The bottom 4 feet of my plants look similar, yellow leaves, lots of brown spots, but my harvest is still looking good. How are the cones looking on your plant?

I think it might be heat. It's been averaging 95F everyday for the past 2 months here in Reno and my hops look very much like that.

i'm not saying that the high ambient temperatures have caused the problem, but by looking at the photo there seems to be a localized area that has been affected. many times, i've seen this on other plants, a heat source such as the heat from a vehicle engine, hot exhaust from a tailpipe, heat radiating out from a grill or a tiki torch, etc. will create symptoms similar to the damage in the photo. good luck on solving the problem.

Back