Diacetyl taste to blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I made Jamils Blond Ale and used Safale-05 yeast. For the first time ever I have a butterscotch taste to my beer.

I did the standard 60 min boil. an cooled quickly. My fermentation was around 68 the same as all my ales usually are. I just kegged the beer a couple days ago so im going to give it sometime to see if it mellows out a bit.

I was wondering if I used my infuser ball and dry hopped 1/2 ounce of Cascade to the keg do you think that would balance that butterscotch taste ?

I don't know- you may just find you have a butterscotch and citrus taste. You could try it.

What I would do is put the keg someplace warm and let it sit for at least 2-3 weeks. Maybe you have enough yeast left in suspension or in the bottom to clean up the diacetyl. Then try dry hopping after that.

I learned the hard way to taste before racking- I had a butter bomb myself way back when. I didn't taste it until after racking. Now I taste before racking, and if there is even a hint of a hint of diacetyl (slickness on the tongue), it stays in primary another week or 10 days.

I pulled it out of the Keezer so hopefully it works. I hate that taste.

I have had a plum taste in some of my ambers that I enjoyed but this is over the top. Although once I drank it and got down to half a pint i got used to the taste.

The thing that has be frustrated is that I checked my gravity and seemed fine. Now I remember that I used Nottigham yeast instead of the 05. I have never had any issues with that yeast before.

One thing I did notice is that the beer didn't clear out like it normally does for me. Even after being in the Keezer for 2 days at 34 degrees it was till rather merky.

Is this a lost cause should I dump the beer or will it get better over time. I have been dong searches and nothing seems to have a remedy for getting DMS out of your beer besides the Diacetyl rest. during fermentation. I have my heating wrap rapped around my keg hoping that it will start the yeast up again to eat away some of the butter scotch.

The thing that has be frustrated is that I checked my gravity and seemed fine. Now I remember that I used Nottigham yeast instead of the 05. I have never had any issues with that yeast before.

One thing I did notice is that the beer didn't clear out like it normally does for me. Even after being in the Keezer for 2 days at 34 degrees it was till rather merky.

Is this a lost cause should I dump the beer or will it get better over time. I have been dong searches and nothing seems to have a remedy for getting DMS out of your beer besides the Diacetyl rest. during fermentation. I have my heating wrap rapped around my keg hoping that it will start the yeast up again to eat away some of the butter scotch.

Well, you have two things confused here. DMS and diacetyl. That's not the same thing. DMS is a cooked corn/vegetal flavor. Diacetyl is the "slick" (in low amounts) or butterscotch (high amounts) flavor.

You're right- a diacetyl rest is the best cure. But, it's not too late. There are still yeast in suspension, but it might take a while since it's been racked and cold crashed. If it really bothers you, just do what you're doing and then forget about it. In two months, it may be one of the best beers you've ever made!

You don't want to heat it above 70 degrees. If that heat belt keeps you in that range, you're good. If it's higher, then take it off and leave it at room temperature. Nottingham is usually clean, and not a big diacetyl producer. I wonder if the fermentation was too hot or too cold, or otherwise stressed. Still, it should clean up in a bit.

Yeah my wife turned the heat up in the house to like 80 one day so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

Yeah this is not a corn flavor defiantly butter scotch. I'll leave it for 3 weeks and hopefully its better. I have a filter so I may filter it after.

Yoop has some good advise here.
Taste before transfer. Very good call.
I would pull it out of the keezer as well and let it rest back in the fermenting fridge @ 70 but it may take a while. Dont pull any more out of it because your pulling out the much needed yeast off the bottom of the keg.
Cheers
JJ

I have some 1056 ale yeast that I kept from a batch of beer I wonder if adding some of that would help.

It will be better if you krausen your beer instead. Just make like half a gallon of wort, aerate it and pitch yeast. Wait day or so till it starts fermenting. Then add it to your batch and give it a week to finish. This way you will make sure you are adding active yeast which will reduce diacetyl.

I noticed a drastic improvement in the beer and its only been like 5 days. I'm sure that it will be good now. I have been shaking the keg every day to get the yeast in suspension

Back