Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I'm more of a lurker on this site and chose the username based off an Always Sunny episode. I had no idea that brewery existed until last year when I saw it on untapped.

Oh nice! I was thinking I would give you a bottle of my deception if you were local.

Brewing my second batch of DCS this weekend. This time it will be an oatmeal cream stout, with the vanilla bourbon bean tincture added during secondary.

Last time, I toasted a ton of coconut and added to secondary before racking on to the bourbon bean solution. It was delicious, getting great reviews from my homebrew club and all of the friends I shipped to, but a pain to siphon as the siphon continuously clogged. I even used a sanitized muslin bag over the end of the auto siphon.

Brewing my second batch of DCS this weekend. This time it will be an oatmeal cream stout, with the vanilla bourbon bean tincture added during secondary.

Last time, I toasted a ton of coconut and added to secondary before racking on to the bourbon bean solution. It was delicious, getting great reviews from my homebrew club and all of the friends I shipped to, but a pain to siphon as the siphon continuously clogged. I even used a sanitized muslin bag over the end of the auto siphon.

Maybe bag the coconut next time?

Put the bag in first (empty), and add the coconut with a funnel? You may need to push it down once or twice during the process, but I'd think it would work.

Bigger hassle getting the dang thing back out. ;)

I've used coconut a number of times in a milk stout recipe of mine. I've added the coconut both at the secondary conditioning stage (using a fermenting bucket), and a couple of occasions I've added it into the keg when short on time. When adding the coconut into the keg, I'll use a partial mash grain bag to contain the coconut (approximately 2 lbs of flaked toasted coconut usually). It is a PITA to get the bag of coconut out of the keg once the coconut has become saturated with beer. And the keg opening is pretty substantial. I imagine that if you ever did manage to fill a bag with coconut flakes in a carboy, there would be no getting it out.

Definitely just get a fermenting bucket or big mouth, and condition in that.

I've used coconut a number of times in a milk stout recipe of mine. I've added the coconut both at the secondary conditioning stage (using a fermenting bucket), and a couple of occasions I've added it into the keg when short on time. When adding the coconut into the keg, I'll use a partial mash grain bag to contain the coconut (approximately 2 lbs of flaked toasted coconut usually). It is a PITA to get the bag of coconut out of the keg once the coconut has become saturated with beer. And the keg opening is pretty substantial. I imagine that if you ever did manage to fill a bag with coconut flakes in a carboy, there would be no getting it out.

Definitely just get a fermenting bucket or big mouth, and condition in that.

Yeah, I guessed it would be the removing that would be the issue.

OH! How about a Shop Vac! With a skinny wand to fit in the carboy neck! Just suck that bag empty, and you're good to go! :tank:

Anyone try this as an oatmeal stout? This would be be my first one, and my question is: Since I'm doing the extract version, do I add the oatmeal with the steeping grains?

Five weeks later I put this baby in the keg. Although when I went to rack I had this little film on top. Hopefully it's alittle lactose at the top and not an infection. Smelled ok. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. View attachment 298182

soooo the verdict is in, finally tapped this over the weekend and the finish has something off about it. what's this a picture of? a type of infection? if so can I fix this with extract or additional lactose? hate the idea of having to dump a batch. the taste is hoppier than I'd have expected with a slightly bitter instead of smooth finish.

Well, I brewed up a batch of this yesterday (extract). Only my 3rd batch ever (new brewer!) so fingers are crossed! I think everything actually went as planned, for the first time, despite a few moments of confusion. Definitely a tasty wort! And the steeped "tea" was amazing, too! Fingers are crossed for successful fermentation... now I have to be patient. (no my strong suit!)

Question about OG: Do I need to calculate out the effects of the lactose on the hydrometer reading, or will everything balance out in the end once I take the FG measurement?

OG measured at 1.062, which is certainly the highest measurement I've ever taken (at least compared to my previous batches, a blonde ale and a belgian pale). Not terribly far off the target 1.058 in the recipe, I think. I had a little bit over 5 gals at the end, probably because I used a hop bag and had hardly any trub left in the kettle.

38bqlb.jpg
7cVbgT.jpg

I used Safale US-05, and prepped it in a cup of 95 degree water, cooled to 75 before pitching into my 70 degree wort. Visible fermentation has not started yet, but based on the last time I used this yeast, it takes a bit of time to get going, so no worries.

I brewed this about 10 days ago and took a sample from the fermenter tonight.
From the 30 or so batches I have brewed I can safely say this is the worst tasting beer at the 10 day mark.
I was measuring it to see how far it was and if it will be possible to bottle it on the weekend and I don't expect wonders at this stage but it tastes like burning rubber.
Possibly a band aid flavour mixed with the roasted grains.

I brewed it according to the original all-grain recipe and the only thing I changed was I used Danstar BRY-97.
Last time I brewed with this yeast my beer tasted a bit strange too but I put it down to an infection or some old Belma hops.
Is it normal for this beer to taste that bad at this stage?

I had an OG of 1.057 and now it is at 1.015 which seems a bit low.
Hopefully it will improve over time.

I can't believe bry worked that fast for you. Did it get hot?

No it didn't get hot.
I brewed a Brown IPA and this beer together and they are fermenting side by side in the basement at a pretty constant 65F.
The brown IPA was brewed with S-04 and has gone from 1.067 to 1.018 in 10 days.

The BRY took almost two days before I noticed any airlock activity but then it worked pretty fast after that. I think that's characteristic for this yeast.

Anyway the beer is still very young and has a lot of roast malt in it so hopefully it will improve. I do fear that there is something wrong with the yeast thought because I bought two packs together about a year ago and the last beer I brewed with it about 6 months ago had some off-flavours - a bit medicinal. I can't check now but maybe both packs came from a bad batch.

Time will tell.

May the force be with you

Damm I was so looking forward to having a tasty milk stout to start the new year :(

But who knows maybe I am writing in this thread in about 6 weeks saying what a fine beer this has turned out to be :D

We will see :tank:

If it doesn't turn out nice at least I have an excuse to try again :ban:

Picked this recipe as my first stout brew. Changed things up a bit though by adding .5 lbs of flaked barley and using dry s-04. Also, my roasted barley is 500L so I had to change that a bit as well. Pre-boil gravity was within .001. Not to shabby so far, wish me luck.

Brewed this today but subbed with galena hops and used s-05. I intend to add some cold brewed coffee when kegging. Very excited to see how this one turns out.

Anyone tried vanilla bean in this recipe? I tried a Vanilla Cream Stout at a local pub the other day and it was the best stout I have ever had. I am hoping it may be similar to this with vanilla added.

I do 2.5 Gallon batches, usually the vanilla bean goes in to the primary when I'm transferring the wort into the fermenter. I let it all ferment at 64 for a month before I bottle.

Just brewed this up last night. I also used Irish Ale yeast Wyeast 1084.

http://imgur.com/a/JBiYQ

After active fermentation for 5 days at 64-65 f there is no activity. Turned the fridge up to 67 this morning. Current temp is 65.3 f. There's only a tiny heating element in there.

Just sampled for a gravity reading.
OG 1.059
Current 1.021

Tastes great flat. The original description is right on. Going to sample in a couple of days. Maybe this done? If I bottle on the 13th they will be carbed in time for Christmas!:mug:

Y0wvVjI.png

Wow, that's really fast! Looking at the dates, that's 5 days in active, then secondary for the balance of the 2 weeks, bottled and drinking in one more (Christmas), so basically 3 weeks from brew to glass? I was under the impression that this beer wants to age for at least 1 month, if not 3, so I was planning to just leave it in it's primary carboy for a full month, then keg it and let it chill for a couple more weeks, at least (metaphorically... no room in my fridge for two kegs so it'll probably stay in the fermentation closet in the keg, unpressurized, until it's actually ready to drink).

Hello guys,

I am from Germany and looking forward to brew this recipie at one of the next brew days. I brew all grain and am wondering if the amount of Chocolate (~7%) and roasted barley (~5%) is okay or maybe a bit too high (concerning bittering and roastiness impact) if I am going to mash it in together with the other grains. What is your consideration for the all grain version of this recipie? Is the amount moderate or high compared to other stout recipies you brewed?

Best regards,

Lasso :mug:

I have made this 3 times... It is solid at 3/4 weeks... Ridiculously good at 3 months... Enjoy early, enjoy late...

Hello guys,

I am from Germany and looking forward to brew this recipie at one of the next brew days. I brew all grain and am wondering if the amount of Chocolate (~7%) and roasted barley (~5%) is okay or maybe a bit too high (concerning bittering and roastiness impact) if I am going to mash it in together with the other grains. What is your consideration for the all grain version of this recipie? Is the amount moderate or high compared to other stout recipies you brewed?

Best regards,

I would brew it as is. It's definitely not a bitter chocolate taste, just smooth milk chocolate and caramel with coffee notes. It's fantastic.

I would brew it as is. It's definitely not a bitter chocolate taste, just smooth milk chocolate and caramel with coffee notes. It's fantastic.

Okay, thanks! But I just realized that the chocolate malt I get here has around 500 SRM. I would like to substitute this with pale chocolate of around 280 SRM. Contrary to this the roasted barley I could get has around 580 SRM, but I think I should give it a go with the 5% of it. Or are there any doubts?

Cheers!

I brewed the Deception cream stout on 12/12/15, got a OG of 1.064, and used 3/4 lb of lactose. I cut the hops down to .5 oz magnum, and I'm wondering if that was a mistake? The estimated IBU for mine is 22 rather than the recipe's 27, and I have a slightly higher OG.

Hello guys,

Best regards,

Hey Lasso, I'm getting ready to brew this tomorrow, and I plan to add the chocolate and roasted barley at the end of the mash. I read about this in Gordon Strong's new book Modern Homebrew Recipes, and tried it on an oatmeal stout last month. The result was a super smooth stout with no acrid roast flavors, just pure smooth chocolate. I added about 15 minutes before the end of the mash and recirculated 5-6 times to get the color extracted.

If you do add it to the mash you'll probably need some baking soda to get the mash ph in the right neighborhood.

Wow, that's really fast! Looking at the dates, that's 5 days in active, then secondary for the balance of the 2 weeks, bottled and drinking in one more (Christmas), so basically 3 weeks from brew to glass? I was under the impression that this beer wants to age for at least 1 month, if not 3, so I was planning to just leave it in it's primary carboy for a full month, then keg it and let it chill for a couple more weeks, at least (metaphorically... no room in my fridge for two kegs so it'll probably stay in the fermentation closet in the keg, unpressurized, until it's actually ready to drink).

It's all good.
Mm2Tp28.jpg

Had to crack a bottle early. It's under carbed, primed with table sugar, but I couldn't wait! Closest beer I've ever had to a cappuccino!

Hey Lasso, I'm getting ready to brew this tomorrow, and I plan to add the chocolate and roasted barley at the end of the mash. I read about this in Gordon Strong's new book Modern Homebrew Recipes, and tried it on an oatmeal stout last month. The result was a super smooth stout with no acrid roast flavors, just pure smooth chocolate. I added about 15 minutes before the end of the mash and recirculated 5-6 times to get the color extracted.

Yeah I think I am adding at least a major part of the roasted barley at the end of the mash. Please keep us updated on how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back