Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew all-grain but if I look at the OP the percentages for all-grain don't quite match up with the extract.
This is probably normal but I have no experience with extract vs all-grain.

I don't want to mess it up by using the wrong amount of pale malt.
Can someone please post their grain percentages so I know where to start from?

Thanks!

:tank:

I've brewed the recipe as shown in the first post AG twice now and loved it. I wouldn't change a thing.

I've brewed the recipe as shown in the first post AG twice now and loved it. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for your reply.
So did you use 6.5 or 7lb pale malt? :p

I've run out of US-05 so I'm going to use a pack of BRY-97 for this.
Should be a good yeast for it.
Now I just need to decide if I use MO or normal pale ale malt.
Not sure I could detect the difference with all that roast malt present so I will probably go for normal pale ale and keep the MO for something else.

Man, I keep hearing everyone say they wouldn't change a thing... I'm bummed I used pale chocolate instead of chocolate malt...

I also used s-04 do you guys think this yeast will turn out good?

I was reading a number of different perspectives. What do you guys think are appropriate fermentation and bottle conditioning times? I would like to have this ready by thanksgiving. It's been in the fermenter 7 days now. 3 weeks fermentation / 3 weeks bottle?

Took a hydrometer reading tonight and I'm at 1.018/1.019. Was more bitter, not as sweet, and not as toasty as I was expecting. Granted I used pale chocolate instead of chocolate malt, and I think the magnum at my LHBS was a little higher in alpha acids. It was also a little boozy on the nose. It's only been in the fermenter for 8 days

I brewed this recepie last Saturday everything went great, it´s now bubbling away in the fermentor, had to get rid of the airlock and put on a blowoff tube to avoid any disasters because my bucket fermentor was about to blow the lid off, I could hear the gas escaping the fermentor.
I was forced to make some adjustments to it, added 2 extra oz of chocolate and roasted barley (each)to make it darker because it was more like a browinsh color, it helped a lot but is not black. The biggest change was the yeast and the hops, they didn´t had any Eroica so I used chinook, didn´t find anywere Denny favorite 50 yeast and couldnt get my hands in any Wyeast so after looking and looking I had to settle with WL004 Irish yeast, it should do the job.

the wort tasted great, you could already smell a bit of coffee and taste the chocolate. Even my wife liked it and was surprised by the chocolate flavor, and she´s a BMC drinker, she even likes that bud with clamato in it. At least now she likes Ciders and Hefes.

I´m gonna try my best to wait three months and see how it turns out, but so far I have high expectations for this beer. O.G was 1.053 just a bit on the low side, but shouldn´t be a problem

I was reading a number of different perspectives. What do you guys think are appropriate fermentation and bottle conditioning times? I would like to have this ready by thanksgiving. It's been in the fermenter 7 days now. 3 weeks fermentation / 3 weeks bottle?

I did 2 weeks primary, then two weeks secondary after racking onto 20 oz. of toasted coconut, then bottle conditioned for two more. Several weeks after that, it is amazing. Thanksgiving is a great target, and you won't be disappointed. I followed the original recipe, except for the coconut, and using the Northern Brewer priming sugar calculator for the right amount of priming sugar, rather than a standard 5 oz. of dextrose.

I did 2 weeks primary, then two weeks secondary after racking onto 20 oz. of toasted coconut, then bottle conditioned for two more. Several weeks after that, it is amazing. Thanksgiving is a great target, and you won't be disappointed. I followed the original recipe, except for the coconut, and using the Northern Brewer priming sugar calculator for the right amount of priming sugar, rather than a standard 5 oz. of dextrose.

How many volumes did you carb to?

this is a delicious stout just the way it is, that being said, I'm thinking about flavoring it with peanut butter,,,,,,,,any recommndations on what to use, PB2 or real, etc?

Bottled up my batch of Deception this afternoon. Sample tasted delicious! I don't know how long I can keep my hands off this stuff. I better get another batch going pronto. :D

Hey all, I haven't seen this addressed specifically in the thread: I have no access to 300L *light* roasted Barley, but I can get regular dark roasted barley (550L). That's a pretty huge jump, though, and I'm nervous. Should I scale down the 9oz accordingly (to 5 oz) or just not worry about it?

Has anyone compared this and Black Pearl posted by Biermuncher? I have played and tweeked it a bit and am thinking of trying this Deception Cream for another change.

I have made both. They were both in my first year of brewing though and I'm sure would be better if I made them now.
This, Deception, had something "off" looking back I'm guessing I underpitched and used old yeast.
I like Black Pearl from what I remember, but I like the smoother mouthfeel of cream stout more.

One change I would make based on personal preference is to use Caramel 120L, to me it has the most Caramel like flavor. I know others like the lighter Caramel malts as it give a more subtle Caramel taste.

Ariando - They are both excellent recipes. BPP is a bit more sweet and silky from what I remember (it's been about six months since I've had one) while DCS is slightly less sweet but still smooth with a roasted bite at the finish. I think of BPP like chocolate milk while DCS is more like a good strong cappuccino. Not sure I can tell from your post - have you tried either or both? One thing I noticed was that DCS definitely benefits from a bit of aging (2-3 months).

The only one I have made is the black pearl a few times and making small changes enough where I thought I could rename. Midnight opal. I do feel it has been a bit sweet but the wife loves it.

Hi want to make the all grain version this weekend, got all the ingredients,
Just wanted to know what water profile everyone is using, i.e.
Ca MG Na Cl SO4 HCo3

Thanks in advance

Kegged this a few days ago and force carbed one bottle just to have a quick taste. Holy god it's without a doubt the best beer I've made.

It looks dang good. Makes me wanna crack a bottle of mine. I'm REALLY trying to hold off till at least the weekend. I may break.

Mine's been in the bottle for 3 1/2 weeks and the flavors are just starting to come together. Before it was a bit too bitter, thin, and the flavors were disconnected.

I think the main reason I've held off on drinking these is because it's fresh hop season... Glad I have a bunch to let get older

Would this would be a good candidate to turn into a chocolate stout? Mash a little higher and toss in 5 or 6 oz of cocoa powder at 5 min?

I'm not good at recipe formulation, so I'm not sure, but what's the difference in effect between a 5min addition and a secondary addition?

I think it could be great for some chocolate, I may try that on half next time. Personally, I LOVE it as an espresso milk stout.

So I was getting ready to make a 10 gallon batch of this with plans to split it between 2 fermenters and use wlp004 in one and wlp013 in the other. Instead I made a bonehead mistake and added both yeasts to the same flask when making starters. Any thoughts on what to expect from the yeast combo?

So I was getting ready to make a 10 gallon batch of this with plans to split it between 2 fermenters and use wlp004 in one and wlp013 in the other. Instead I made a bonehead mistake and added both yeasts to the same flask when making starters. Any thoughts on what to expect from the yeast combo?

Do you work at wildcard brewing in redding?

Back