dead fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question about the most recent extract kit I brewed on Saturday. Kit is a midwest Autumn amber ale with dry yeast. Had signs of fermentation sunday and monday now it shows no signs. Beer has been stored at 65-67 degrees. The other kit I brewed on Saturday is bubbling away. What should I do? Buy more yeast and try again?

Check the specific gravity and see if it is already finished fermenting before adding more yeast.

What Yooper said......it's prolly done. The only time I've ever ridden herd over a ferm....it was an apa with wlp001 and it was done in 3 days. Unless your in a rush...leave it for a few more days (5-7). before you bottle or keg. It's probably fine.:mug:

What should I do? Buy more yeast and try again?

Like everyone else said, check your gravity a few times over the course of the next two or three days. Is it moving? If not, it's done.
Now, if it actually got stuck, and you haven't attenuated enough, you can pitch more yeast. Just make sure you use the same brand and type as before. I've heard mixing yeasts has a higher potential to cause autolysis.

Anyone else know if that's true?

Like everyone else said, check your gravity a few times over the course of the next two or three days. Is it moving? If not, it's done.
Now, if it actually got stuck, and you haven't attenuated enough, you can pitch more yeast. Just make sure you use the same brand and type as before. I've heard mixing yeasts has a higher potential to cause autolysis.

Anyone else know if that's true?

Autolysis is caused by beer sitting on a trub and dead yeast cell for a very long time. It doesn't have anything to do with what type of yeast. At least from everything I have read.

Back