Dany Prignon (Fantome)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldve just posted the shower pic...
weird that I have this picture in my imgur library....
EMUTUq3.png

my physical copy is stuck to my mattress...

Ok, I've had enough beer to go on a roll, so here it is:

This is a (drunken) open letter to Dany of Fantome.

Dany, after you read this, if it does not make sense, please contact me and I will send it to a friend in Belgium for BETTER translation.

Dany, in 2011, my wife and I sat outside of your brewery for over 2hrs waiting for you when you had previously agreed to meet us on that day and at that time. I spent at least 30e at the shop next to the brewery on pastries and Coca Cola....well of course I enjoyed it because I love both of those. Anyway, you never showed up and later emailed me to tell me you'd forgotten about the arrangement and had gone to buy new brewing equipment.

Brb, going to grab a Stille Nacht 2007. Brb, seriously.

So I've spent a decent amount of time tracking down some old beers of yours. It seems that the beers that I've had from 1991 - 2004 are overwhelmingly fantastic. What happened after that? I mean seriously Dany, these beers that I speak of are 4.5/5 or better, which you should be proud of producing. What happened between that general period and 2013? Was it an issue with brewing equipment (mentioned above) or a lack of interest from the brewer (lack of interest from you), or are there other issues (family as a whole can be undrstood)? I shared two beers, Autome '93 and Sante Rose 11 at Hill Farmstead, whoch seems to believe it is the best brewery in the world in 2011 and EVERYONE was impressed with the beers. You have the potential, but what happened?

Dany, I can't emphasize how much I appreciate your style. I know stakem feels the same way in appreciation. I refuse to put words in his mouth, but I think the last 5 years of your brewing has been the worst that you've distributed. That's hard for me to say as a great fan of yours, but it is true.

Please understand that this is not a direct insult, but instead a question as to why you have gone from being (in my opinion) one of the top 5 brewers in the world to one of the top 50 brewers in the world. From an American perspective, this seems to have been by your choice.

Is it the equipment? Is it the ingredients? Is it the lack of genuine care (In America, we call this the "Give a ****" factor)?

I don't know what it is Dany, but I beg you to please go back to your old ways. Do not compromise the quality of a beer such as Fantome Saison, which is by far a top 5 beer I've had the privilege to experience fresh. The fantastic qualities of that beer define the style.

Dany, I want to say I'm sorry for possibly coming off as abrasive, but I'm not sorry. I want to see you find your potential, which you had been working through 10 years ago. I want to taste your achievements. I don't really think you realize what you have in your hands as a Saison brewery. Dany, you are the best. Don't let us down.

-Sean

Ok, I've had enough beer to go on a roll, so here it is:

This is a (drunken) open letter to Dany of Fantome.
Dany, after you read this, if it does not make sense, please contact me and I will send it to a friend in Belgium for BETTER translation.

Dany, in 2011, my wife and I sat outside of your brewery for over 2hrs waiting for you when you had previously agreed to meet us on that day and at that time. I spent at least 30e at the shop next to the brewery on pastries and Coca Cola....well of course I enjoyed it because I love both of those. Anyway, you never showed up and later emailed me to tell me you'd forgotten about the arrangement and had gone to buy new brewing equipment.

Brb, going to grab a Stille Nacht 2007. Brb, seriously.

So I've spent a decent amount of time tracking down some old beers of yours. It seems that the beers that I've had from 1991 - 2004 are overwhelmingly fantastic. What happened after that? I mean seriously Dany, these beers that I speak of are 4.5/5 or better, which you should be proud of producing. What happened between that general period and 2013? Was it an issue with brewing equipment (mentioned above) or a lack of interest from the brewer (lack of interest from you), or are there other issues (family as a whole can be undrstood)? I shared two beers, Autome '93 and Sante Rose 11 at Hill Farmstead, whoch seems to believe it is the best brewery in the world in 2011 and EVERYONE was impressed with the beers. You have the potential, but what happened?

Dany, I can't emphasize how much I appreciate your style. I know stakem feels the same way in appreciation. I refuse to put words in his mouth, but I think the last 5 years of your brewing has been the worst that you've distributed. That's hard for me to say as a great fan of yours, but it is true.

Please understand that this is not a direct insult, but instead a question as to why you have gone from being (in my opinion) one of the top 5 brewers in the world to one of the top 50 brewers in the world. From an American perspective, this seems to have been by your choice.

Is it the equipment? Is it the ingredients? Is it the lack of genuine care (In America, we call this the "Give a ****" factor)?

I don't know what it is Dany, but I beg you to please go back to your old ways. Do not compromise the quality of a beer such as Fantome Saison, which is by far a top 5 beer I've had the privilege to experience fresh. The fantastic qualities of that beer define the style.

Dany, I want to say I'm sorry for possibly coming off as abrasive, but I'm not sorry. I want to see you find your potential, which you had been working through 10 years ago. I want to taste your achievements. I don't really think you realize what you have in your hands as a Saison brewery. Dany, you are the best. Don't let us down.

-Sean
What a loonnggg! text Sean ! but interesting ..many more than what i have in my sandwitch.. :) :)... thanking you at first for
!! so .. rapidly i can tell you
1) i have around 200 Usa amators each year from .. 5 years..possible i have forgotten !! you were coming so all my "apologies" for this !!!
2) i don't know each time how are the beers after some monthes.. ( quality)..because it's taking a long time from brewing up to "delivration" in Usa.. (?) 1 2 3 delivrations times before you can taste on place,..
After this moment (for you on place). i have brewed 10 times small quantities...!!! so .. impossible for me to can tell "yes it was or not ! good "... for this or this or this bottle.. difficult for me because never stock here ..
3) i have had really !! material problems during 2 monthes with the main brew tank !!the mixer was ( yes it's !! this material you tell me , in fact !..when i must go when you are coming, i thing..) ... very ! badly made !!
the bottom of the tank was each roken !! and i don't see this directly .. reason for some beers were .. very ! strange !!! ( it's right !!)
4) i can just propose you.. "come back ! ;-)" .. but really ... try the last beers i have brewed this end 2013 or early 2014.. sure you find it's OK ..tell me ...
5) i want also just tell you i sell outside ! ( yes yes) of Usa, and i have many many commands from at this moment.. so .. others continents people have had good beers too.. at this moment Brasil is asking for a lot.. the tastes from them are made from .. 5 or 6 monthes...it seems it's now good quality...
i don' tahe change my system brewing, it was a mechanical problem... Hoping good times now ...

The older Sante's on Etre Gourmet all say "should not be drunk". Do you really think they shouldn't be consumed, or is that just some legal technicality or something similar?

The older Sante's on Etre Gourmet all say "should not be drunk". Do you really think they shouldn't be consumed, or is that just some legal technicality or something similar?

No,but Robert from Etregourmet thing it's a few like an Old Big Value Wine ;.it's now for collection,
or .. keep this for a Very Big event ... :)

Back