Dang It - Forgot My Late DME Addition. Advice Quickly Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
OK I've read similar posts to this but none of them pertained to my situation or my question.

Basically I forgot my late DME addition.

I currently cooled my wort down to 105 degrees.

I really prefer not to put it back on the heat again to start another boil and then throw the remaining DME back in as a post boil.

I was thinking of boiling another gallon and stirring the DME into that and once it cooled add it into my other boil kettle before transferring to my fermenter.

But hey, maybe that is stupid and reboiling my initial wort is the way to go.

Let me know what you think

Are you using any top up water? If so boil the DME in that and add it to the fermentor with the rest. If not, just boil it in a bit of water and add it to the fermenter. You might get a bit lower SG from the water addition but live, learn, and move on. Use as little as you need to dissolve it and boil for about 5 min. That would be my solution. Someone else may be more creative.

I wouldn't bring the entire volume of initial wort back to a boil that would be unnecessary. Another option, pull out about a half gallon of original wort add the DME bring to boil and add to the rest.

Are you using any top up water? If so boil the DME in that and add it to the fermentor with the rest. If not, just boil it in a bit of water and add it to the fermenter. You might get a bit lower SG from the water addition but live, learn, and move on. Use as little as you need to dissolve it and boil for about 5 min. That would be my solution. Someone else may be more creative.

I wouldn't bring the entire volume of initial wort back to a boil that would be unnecessary. Another option, pull out about a half gallon of original wort add the DME bring to boil and add to the rest.

It's funny you mention live and learn. I'm doing an experiment and brewing 2 batches a week.

As much as I'd love for each brew to go perfect, I won't learn anything if it does. So this is good experience for me.

BTW I just jumped the gun before anyone responded and boiled a gallon of water and stirred in the remaining DME.

Word

It's been fermenting for a few days now. I will try and remember to post back the results. Hopefully the info can help someone else in the future.

Back