American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking forward to this one. My hop substitutions were strictly based on inventory. I've made several APAs, including a couple of SMaShes. Next I think I'll start adjusting them to my own taste.

I'm in the second week of fermentation and followed Yoopers recipe to the letter.... I did a single infusion to 148 for 45 min and single thick mash decoction to get my next step.... At 155 for 25 min....no mass out and fly sparged for 50 mins or so.... My OG was a few points off and i account that the brew house efficiency .... TG was to be 1.058 and got 1.54. But by all accounts the FG should end at 1.012. Would this be too low for this style.....? Pics will follow...looked wonderful

Just picked up the grains to do this one again. This time, using all Amarillo. Going to do a first wort hop, and a hop stand. Also moving the 30 minute addition further back. I'm pretty excited - I loved the first batch of this I made!

To date, my favorite iteration of this beer was with Falconer's Flight. I love that blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh wth! I was putting away some tattnang hops for a future kolsch.... And was readying to drop some cascade for Yoopers house pale ale. I however got mixed up and dropped 1 oz of tattnang instead..... Well should be ok i suppose... Won't it?

Oh wth! I was putting away some tattnang hops for a future kolsch.... And was readying to drop some cascade for Yoopers house pale ale. I however got mixed up and dropped 1 oz of tattnang instead..... Well should be ok i suppose... Won't it?

At what point in the boil?

Just picked up the grains to do this one again. This time, using all Amarillo. Going to do a first wort hop, and a hop stand. Also moving the 30 minute addition further back. I'm pretty excited - I loved the first batch of this I made!

I've done an all Amarillo before. I think that was my favorite version of this.

I've done an all Amarillo before. I think that was my favorite version of this.

The pre-fermentation sample tasted awesome. Its bubbling away now as we speak. The funny thing is, I pitched my starter Sunday night, and put a blow-off tube on. I used WY1056 and fermented at 62 degrees. It didn't blow off until Wednesday night!

Will dry hop next week, and keg the week after. Can't wait!

Brewnbromanite it was the dry hopping...so no issues I'm sure it'll be fine
And I'll be kegging this weekend...... And week after that my Czech Pilsner will be done also...beer coming out my ears in a week or 2

Brewnbromanite it was the dry hopping...so no issues I'm sure it'll be fine
And I'll be kegging this weekend...... And week after that my Czech Pilsner will be done also...beer coming out my ears in a week or 2

Sounds good. Will definitely change up the aroma, but this grain bill is so good you can't really go wrong. Let us know how it tastes.

Been making this one as a partial BIAB and the grain bill I modified, although I am not sure if it ends up different from the original is pretty damn tasty:

1.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Light (33.52%)
1.375 kg Vienna (30.73%)
0.900 kg Munich I (20.11%)
0.250 kg American 2-Row (5.59%)
0.225 kg Crystal 20 (5.03%)
0.225 kg Crystal 60 (5.03%)

Just brewed it up with Motueka and Simcoe. Can't wait for the bottles to prime up!!

First pull on the Yoopers house ale..... Being barely 4 weeks old not super clear but taste is spectacular will bottle the rest to make room in keg for Czech Pilsner in a couple a weeks......

Oh I will be out of beer.... For sure that has never been a problem i can't keep enough beer on hand

i just made this last sunday. I did cascade/citra and I bumped the MO. this smells and first tasting was incredible. I cant wait to brew it again this weekend. may use some other stuff I have kicking around to see what happens

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416162613.061433.jpg
Well this is it ..... Very tasty and unfortunately all gone.... Will be doing this recipe again very soon...... Well done Yooper awesome APA

Boiling away now. Had to substitute Centennial for the 60 minute so I would have enough cascade for the rest and to dryhop. Hoping it won't affect it too much.

Just tasted mine after about five days in the fermenter. Has a slight astringent taste. I think I let it get too warm towards the end of mashing. I also squeezed the bag(which I always do). Any chance the flavor will ferment out in the next week or so. It's still taste like it's going to be very drinkable.

Squeezing the bag will not cause astringent flavors. Excessive pH or temperature can. How hot did it get??

On a side note, my all Amarillo version turned out awesome. I like it better than the cascade version (although I've changed a bit of my process since I made the cascade version, including using RO water, so that's probably not a fair comparison).

I do believe this will be one of my next brews I will make. I have some Cascades I need to use up and this looks good. I dont have any crystal 60 though. I have 10, 20, 40, and 90. Should I sub the 60 for 40 or perhaps just use a full pound of 40 instead? Also for the yeast I have some Pacman I harvested from Shakespeare Stout in its final step on the stirplate now. I also plan on slanting WLP002 in the next couple days. Out of those 2 yeasts what would you recommend? I havent used either strain before so I'm not sure what to expect.

Just use the 40L in the same amount- the difference won't be much.

I'd use pacman over an English yeast, but if you ferment the English yeast very cool (say, 62 degrees), it would be ok.

Wow that was a fast reply. Thanks Yooper. Fermentation temps definitely aren't a problem. I'm using a freezer with a temp controller. I've been wanting to try pacman for a while. Seems like its a well liked strain.

I'm doughed in! I'll be using S-05 instead of the Pacman. Pacman didnt look right in the starter so I got rid of it. I've been making Edworts Haus PA for the last several batches and I'm looking to switch it up a bit. I'm sure this will be great. :mug:

Brewed this last night and everything went smooth. Pitched the 05 into 5 1/4 gallons of 1055 sweet wort. Hoppped with cascades just like the recipe calls for. Will dry hop with one ounce in two weeks. Thanks for the recipe.

I have this brewed and in the fermenter. Is this a real hoppy beer? Last night I had a couple of Rangers that are heavy cascade hopped. They were a little bitter for my taste. I thought about skipping the dry hop if this is the case.

Dry hopping won't effect the bitterness, only the aroma is increased by the dry hopping.

My first time brewing this produced a hoppy beer, but not qiite an IPA level of hop flavor.

I would recomend you continue with the dry hop as it comes out great

I am about to bottle the second batch of this. The first batch i followed the recipe as close as possibe, with the exception of an extra pound of MO due to unkown eff.
My second batch matched the grain bill of the first but I used exclusively El Dorado pellets 15.2 AA
.5 oz @60
.5oz @30
.5 oz @5
.5 @ flameout
And 1.5 to dry hop

OG 1.062
FG 1.01
6.83‰ abv

Love this grain bill Thanks Yooper!
This brew was inspired by the Stone anniversary 18 IPA, it used exclusively El Dorado and was delicious!

According to the ibu calculator I got approximately 50 tinsith(spelling) ibu,

Mine also comes out a bit hoppier as i dont chill my wort qiickly, so it adds a few bitter points

If you got 50 something then a bit outside the range... And if remember i did adjust the hops a bit to suit my taste.

I wouldn't be too concerned, this is a very well rounded recipe. I've ad it a few times with adjustments to the late hopping. This last time I dropped the 30 min addition as my cascade were close to 9% AA and all of my late additions were at least an ounce. I also added 1/2 oz of citra in with the 5 min addition and an extra 1/2 in the dry hop. Kegging it today.

I just realized my original cadcade hops were higher on the AAs and thus the increase... However i loved it so i dont wanna change!
Cheers!

Just made a batch on Sunday. Looking forward to trying it in the new year. I toyed with the idea of adding more hops for the late additions, but resisted the temptation since this is the first time I've brewed this recipe. Thanks Yooper!

Just soaked my new hop sock Debbie sewed for me along with a big shooter marble in some sanitizer. Put the ounce of Cascades in the sock and watched it sink to the bottom. I will bottle Friday or Saturday. Sure looks nice.

Back