Czech Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching Anthony Bordain's No Reservations. He's in Prague and they're drinking a lot of delicious looking pale lagers. It's making me want to brew up a lager or two.

What are some good styles and good commercial examples of such pale lagers?

Budvar, (or Czechvar in the US) is a pretty good one. Pilsner Urquell is kind of the standard.

Yeah, Pilsner Urquell is a given. It's probably the only Czech beer I've had.

What about other styles aside from Czech Pilsner? A few of the lagers they were drinking were more around 8-9 SRM.

I just read the Budvar is darker but I've never seen it on the shelf.

I'm actually working on two extract versions of the Czech Budvar now. I have my first in lagering that my LHBS owner designed and the second I plugged into Beersmith and raised the IBU's a little that is in primary. The first is about two weeks from bottling. I can't wait to see how these turn out. My next will be a Samuel Adams Noble Pils clone. I have 4lbs of noble hops on order that should be here this week. :ban:

Staropramen is another nice one from Pilsen. It's a bit maltier in balance than the Urquel. Both are quite a challenge for a home brewer to make well.

Staropramen is another nice one from Pilsen. It's a bit maltier in balance than the Urquel. Both are quite a challenge for a home brewer to make well.

I tend to prefer Staropramen over Urquel, but love them both. They are definitely a challenge to make, totally in agreement there. IMO, if you want to see how skilled a brewer is, ask to taste their Pilsner or their Helles...

Thanks for the info. I'm off to try to find some to taste.

I've never really brewed any lagers but went on a big Kolsch kick with WLP029. Fermentation and lager times/temps were well in the realm of the lager spectrum.

What do you think is the biggest challenge, process-wise, for home brewers when it comes to Czech lagers? What flavors and/or aspects do home brewers fall short of achieving?

What do you think is the biggest challenge, process-wise, for home brewers when it comes to Czech lagers? What flavors and/or aspects do home brewers fall short of achieving?

I think it's a couple of things. One is the balance. So many brewers go too malty or too hoppy- Czech lagers are a great balance. Water can be problematic for some brewers, so I use RO water for my Bohemian pilsners. Temperature control is important, of course.

I usually do a decoction on my BoPils and many other lagers. It's probably not necessary, but I think it really does improve the beer.

I think it's a couple of things. One is the balance. So many brewers go too malty or too hoppy- Czech lagers are a great balance. Water can be problematic for some brewers, so I use RO water for my Bohemian pilsners. Temperature control is important, of course.

I usually do a decoction on my BoPils and many other lagers. It's probably not necessary, but I think it really does improve the beer.

I use RO for all my brews as well.

Care to share your water profile?

I use RO for all my brews as well.

Care to share your water profile?

For RO water? Well...........it's RO water. :p

For a few lagers, I'll had some gypsum or calcium chloride. But not BoPils. Even if the Calcium is under 50 ppm, it seems to be fine. I usually do the protein rest at 131-133 degrees, and a very short one.

For RO water? Well...........it's RO water. :p

For a few lagers, I'll had some gypsum or calcium chloride. But not BoPils. Even if the Calcium is under 50 ppm, it seems to be fine. I usually do the protein rest at 131-133 degrees, and a very short one.

:smack: After the additions! :mug:

How's your sulfate level and what is your sulfate/chloride ratio?

:smack: After the additions! :mug:

How's your sulfate level and what is your sulfate/chloride ratio?

Sulfate level is very low in RO water, as is the chloride. For German lagers, I usually keep it low anyway, but with BoPils I don't add anything.

I usually ignore sulfate/chloride ratio for all beers.

Back