Cutting new rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benda86

Reaction score
Hey!

I have second year centennial and williamette..

Since I am very new at this, I hope that you guys can help me. Base on your knowledge..

Can I cut new rhizome, in principle, year round?? The centennial is blooming right now, and my friend want a rhizome...

Pros/con's??

Thanks!!

define blooming. Do you mean sprouting up for growth? If so you should have no problem cutting one rhizome off. I wait until they are two years od before harvesting mine. One should be fine though. It is best to do the cutting in the spring so it encourages new growth. Hope it helped.

No you will be fine taking a few. I missed that they were second year. Just don't rape them of all the rhizomes this year. How did they grow in the containers? They look like 3 gallon in the pics.

The containers are 25 Liters (6.6 gallons). I have planted them in the spring of last year, and they have grown to about 5 meters (19 feet). The centennial gave about 1.78 oz, because the summer sun here kicked his a** off... Maybe next year i'll move them into a bigger containers..

That's great. I always see members asking about containers. I am sure you hit them with fertilizer each Year? If they did well you might just want to trim a little more off to free up the container for new root growth. Where ary you? I see you are on the metric system.

So you have them in containers... i have 2 years old plants too, in the ground, and i harvested a lot of rizomes for them. Go ahead and dig yours but take care not to damage all the rhisomes so you don't lose a good start.

yep. I give them fertilizer depending on the stage of the plant and the climate. starting with compost (year round).. in the end of the rain season, i give them some long active chemical fertilizer (those little brown balls), and just before the blooming of the cones a small portion of 20/20 chemical fertilizer to make them more stronger.
The problem here is the mildew and the scorching sun light.. oo and the moisture, in the summer (july/agusut) it raises to 80%+.

I am from Israel, this is why i use the Metric system. but little by little i am getting used to the Fahrenheit.

If you ever have insect problems use neem oil. It is the best thing so far that works on them. It also helps with the mildew.

now that's good to know!! I have never heard of it...
it is by far better than using that chemical stuff. thank you for the great tips and also for answering so fast!
:mug:

I use around 2 ounces per gallon of water. Just spray it on every few weeks and stop about two weeks before harvest or the hops will have a garlic like flavor. You can drink the neem oil if you want to that is why I use it. Also keeps the insects away from me! It is used in makeup products. A few nursery supply places here carry it.

If you don't want to disturb the root system of your already growing plants, you can root some cuttings. Wait for a bine to have 2 or 3 nodes, and cut it. Put in water indoors for around 14 days. Here are some tips to root cuttings.

Have fun ! :mug:

What types do you grow in Romania?

I grow Cascade, Saaz, Northern Brewer, Hallertauer, Styrian Golding and WGV. If i would choose again i wouldn't go for the noble hops (Saaz, Hallertauer) as they don't grow as easily as Cascade. They need some more care, and i don't have always time for that.

hi everyone, first post and i figured i would add it to this thread since the subject is the same. ive been growing a variety of hops for almost 3 years now. over the years it became clear that the cascade is the winning species for my plot of land in los angeles. my question is what time of year would be best to divide the rhizome to start a new vine? how much can i cut off? what size is big enough to start a new vine?

thanks!

I'll suggest cuttings as well.

They are easy to root, I would almost say that you would have a hard time getting them to die on you, and if the pictures are of your plants, then you can simply cut one shoot off and stick it in water and in a few days it will be showing roots.

This has the advantage of not disturbing the existing roots in the pot.

TeeJo

hi everyone, first post and i figured i would add it to this thread since the subject is the same. ive been growing a variety of hops for almost 3 years now. over the years it became clear that the cascade is the winning species for my plot of land in los angeles. my question is what time of year would be best to divide the rhizome to start a new vine? how much can i cut off? what size is big enough to start a new vine?

thanks!

Hi,
It seems that Cascade is the winning variety on any type of land and growing conditions :D It has a very vigurous growth.
You can split rhizomes almost anytime (well, not in winter time), usually in the fall, after the leaves fell off, or early spring before the sprout start to show.
You can cut off all the rhizomes that are at least 5-10 cm far from the root.

Latest posts

Back