Curious...vigorous fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCalico

Reaction score
I'm looking all over the place for a specific explanation as to what is going on with my beer besides the fact that it's fermenting like crazy.

I brewed/pitched on Sunday and fermentation started in less than 12 hours. In day two now and I checked on it before I left for work and YOWZA!!!!!

The bobber in the airlock was dancing up a storm and there was 'stuff', presumably yeast and hop resin swirling as if somebody was shaking the carboy itself! Another thing I noticed is that the temp actually went UP(???) it got colder last nite and we dont have the heat on so, again with the presumptions, I figure that the chemical activity is actually creating a fair deal of energy within the carboy?

I'm not really relaxed, very excited... and since I dont have my first batch of homebrews cabonated yet I can't enjoy that :fro:

How the heck does boiling water and playing pimp to yeast make for such an addictive hobby??? I havent even enjoyed my first beer made by my own hand yet and I can't wait to start on yet another batch!

Yep, yet another reason why brewing is so addicting! It sounds like you may want to use a blow off tube when you get home, if the airlock clogs up on you. And, as you discovered, fermentation does produce some heat! You have proof that it's exothermic- that's why it's so important to monitor the temperature of the wort/beer, and not the temperature of the room! I have those stick on thermometers on each carboy and bucket, to keep an eye on the temperature inside during fermentation.

Pretty fun stuff, isn't it? :ban:

YooperBrew said:
Yep, yet another reason why brewing is so addicting! It sounds like you may want to use a blow off tube when you get home, if the airlock clogs up on you. And, as you discovered, fermentation does produce some heat! You have proof that it's exothermic- that's why it's so important to monitor the temperature of the wort/beer, and not the temperature of the room! I have those stick on thermometers on each carboy and bucket, to keep an eye on the temperature inside during fermentation.

Pretty fun stuff, isn't it? :ban:

It's a blast! But as for the temperature I have the stick on Fermometer :) and thats where I was shocked that it went from approx. 66 deg to about 69 overnight when the environmental temp was very steady.

I'm a little nervous about swapping out the lock at this aggressive point of fermentation due to air/pathogens... is that a valid?

if you don't put in a blow off tube you might find your airlock laying next to the carboy with absolutley nothing protecting the fermentation frenzy.....if you take off your air lock and put on a blow off tube it might unprotected for 10 seconds....you should be fine!

scox80 said:
if you don't put in a blow off tube you might find your airlock laying next to the carboy with absolutley nothing protecting the fermentation frenzy.....if you take off your air lock and put on a blow off tube it might unprotected for 10 seconds....you should be fine!

Also, you have to remember that your brew is still producing CO2 when the airlock is out, so the brew has a layer of protection even without an airlock in place.

My first batch of Lemongrass Wheat I did at home on the 19th is STILL churning well inside the carboy.
Looks like a wild dance lol!
Enjoy man!

:mug:

Shaggy said:
My first batch of Lemongrass Wheat I did at home on the 19th is STILL churning well inside the carboy.
Looks like a wild dance lol!
Enjoy man!

:mug:

omg.. thats a long time is it not? Have you concocted the uber-beer???

Back