Crystal 80 Sub (in Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I have a milk stout recipe, that calls for 0.75 lb of Crystal 80.
I don't have it, what I have is: Caramunich III (60 Lov), Caraaroma (120 Lov), and Special B which is around 80 Lov, but I think it tastes completely different.

I think I will take Caramunich 60L, but shall I take the same amount, or a bit more? Maybe with a dash of Caraaroma?

not that i'm the guy, but from my limited experience i would say either 0.75-1 lb of the 60 or .5ish lbs of the 120. the crystal and cara-dextrine malts will do similar things in that grain bill

cb

I have substituted crystal 60 and 80 with caramunich III a few times and the brews came out pretty spot on... Its my house ale, so I have a few batches under my belt already to compare to. One of the HBS that i use always tells me that If I can't find one of the crystals a 50%/50% substitute works. ie You need 1 lb crystal 80, but they only have crystal 120 and crystal 40, use 50% 120 and 50% 40 and you get your desired effect. The OG and SRM seem to be the same with that substitution of 50/50 on beersmith.

Back