Cryo .. couldn't pass it up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Deal at AIH .. 8 one ounce packets of Cryo Columbus for $10. What is that $1.25 per? I have a regular recipe that uses Columbus, so I will surely use them up. I've read about Cryo hops but have yet to brew with them.

Don't shy away from using Columbus as a dry hop, especially the cryo version of it!

One of the more memorable beer I've tasted was a 100% Apollo IPA. Yup, only Apollo in every stage of brewing, low amounts in the boil, lots in low temp whirlpool and dry hop.
What's that, 18-20 %AA? Delicious flavor and aroma, while very restrained bitterness. Those %AAs don't show up unless you isomerize (boil) them, and only a little there goes a long way!

In case you didn't realize, Columbus is a very dank hop! It's much underused (misunderstood or overshadowed) in today's brewing world, IMO.

How about a Columbus IPA? You could add a little Citra and/or Simcoe to it. Or Mosaic and Amarillo.

Based on an article Denny Conn wrote about Cryo hops I might be tempted to use 1/2 the recipe amount for anything 60 to 30 minutes and add any later additions (as per recipe) to a 150 to 120 degree whirlpool.

Back