Critique my Spaghetti Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using flaked wheat in place of spaghetti for calculations, since it will be cereal mashed to be pretty close to what flaked wheat is. it's not perfect, but it's probably as close as you're gonna get.

I went ahead an plugged in torrified wheat in place of spaghetti but if you think flaked wheat would more closely approximate the actual outcome I'm all for it.

I can't increase the malt this time, I don't feel safe increasing the spaghetti without amylase which I also can't use. This is one of those strapped-for-cash/experimental recipes, just gotta use what I have for now.

It just seems fitting that we invoke the image and name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster for good luck with this brewing endeavor.

flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg

Spaghetti Wheat

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 7 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051
Estimated FG: 1.013
Estimated Color: 3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10 IBU
Estimated ABV: 4.9%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.0 lb 2 Row
4.0 lb Pasta
1.0 lb Quick Oats
1.0 lb Brown Sugar
0.5 lb Brown Rice

0.50 oz Hallertau (90 min)
0.25 oz Williamette (90 min)

1 oz Orange Zest (2 Lrg Sweet Oranges)
American Wheat Yeast

Precook the pasta 1-3 hours
Mash the pasta, oats, and rice with the 2 Row at 155° for 90 minutes
Add sugar and orange zest w/ 10 minutes left in the boil.

Any last words of wisdom? I'm starting the spaghetti now.

updated instructions...

Precook the pasta 1-3 hours; drain and rinse the pasta, saving 3.25 gallons of the water.
Mash the cooked pasta, oats, and rice with 2 Row in pasta water at 155° for 90 minutes.
Boil hops 90 minutes; add sugar and orange zest with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Hah my old friend spaghetti wheat beer. I have probably made 6-8 batches w/ pasta as an adjunct. I posted the question back in 08 w/ only a couple responses here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anybody-ever-used-pasta-adjunct-96661/#post1050672

Interestingly enough, there is a link in the original post of a guy in Norway that placed in a competition w/ spaghetti adjunct beer. I typically just boiled the heck out of the pasta and mashed w/ 2 row. Be forwarned, the mash does look a little disturbing, like something in a halloween b-movie. I used around 30 -35% pasta, and a pound of quick oats. The beer was good, drier w/ a bit of tang that you don't get w/ malted wheat, which i think is typical of raw wheat.

I finished w/ coriander and a half pound of orange marmalaide. No brown sugar, no rice. I used 05 yeast.

from memory...

5 lb 2 row
3 lb pasta
1 lb quick oats
1 oz hallertaur
1/2 lb orange marmalaide
1/2 to 1 oz coriander crushed
US 05

And yes, I did use all the starchy spaghetti water for the mash. As I recall, it can be a little tricky hitting strike temps w/ hot spaghetti. I would usually mash in the grains low 130 - 140 and let the spaghetti infusion take me north of 150. If low I would stir w/ a heast stick.

I actually found your postings about this in my research on the subject. Thanks for posting your recipe.

The pasta is done, it looks just like campbells canned noodle soup. About to start mashing, still have a couple hours before I was gonna fire up the propane burner, and it just started raining...hopefully it'll clear up soon or I'll have to finish tomorrow.

Spaghetti and Oats:
IMG_3183.JPG

I broke up the spaghetti into quarters:
IMG_3185.JPG

Started cooking:
IMG_3191.JPG

After about 5 minutes:
IMG_3193.JPG

After boiling 10 minutes and simmering a couple hours:
IMG_31971.JPG

turtle...are you still at:

3 lb 2row
4 lb spag
1 lb oats

Not sure you enough malt have to convert??

yeah...I've been worried about that too...and the 4lb of raw spaghetti weighs at least 10lb cooked...maybe I should only use half the spaghetti? I can't add any more 2row.

Don't want to discourage you in the middle, but I did have a homebrew that tasted strangely of tortellini recently. Good luck to you on not repeating the disaster.

First attempt was fail..

After simmering the spaghetti, the noodles are so over-soaked that I can't fit them in my pot with the required amount of water and still be able to fit the grains. I've decided to cut my losses and regroup, try again next weekend when I have more time. I'm out $4 in spaghetti, not too bad.

I'll be using 6lb 2row with only 2 or 3 pounds of spaghetti on my next attempt.

Back