Critique my MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddroukas

Reaction score
Just slapped it together last night. I'm switching to AG as soon as my 10-gal megapot comes in the mail. Any obvious problems?

MLT01.jpg

MLT02.jpg

MLT03.jpg

You can't see in the photos but the bottom of the copper piping has holes drilled. I'm most concerned about the height of the drainage spiggot from the bottom of the cooler. Is this is a non-issue?

ddroukas said:
I'm most concerned about the height of the drainage spiggot from the bottom of the cooler. Is this is a non-issue?

From what I know, it won't matter too much, you may leave a tiny bit too much wort in the MLT, but you can counter-act that by adding a bit more sparge water.

I was going to say that you will lose some wort because it is up higher but I noticed that your braided SS wil rest on the bottom of the MLT so I don't think it will be an issue. You could even tilt the MLT so the wort runs to the braid at the end of the sparge.

That's one nice looking MLT! Good job!:mug:

You could add the equivalent of a brick in the toilet to the bottom...

Like a sheet of plastic or metal to go under the braid....

I dunno... Looks awesome to me, I might steal your design.

Looks good -- nice design. As Rich said, I think you are going to lose a bit of wort to dead space in the tun. The fittings inside are a bit high off the bottom of the cooler, but that's not a huge deal.

Yes, you definitely need some teflon tape on the fittings on the exterior side of the cooler wall. Don't put any inside, though -- not necessary.

Is that a stainless steel washer on the inside of the cooler? It is really hard to tell from photos, but it looked a bit dull (like perhaps zinc plated?).

I personally think it's a little overdone and I never understood jamming the braid into a compression fitting when forcing it over the copper or onto a hose barb would be fine with a clamp. Actually, I would have used reducing coupling that goes from 1/2" down to 1/4" and put the braid on there. You can then tip the whole thing down so the copper openings were laying on the cooler bottom to reduce that deadspace.

I'm assuming you used a large coverage design to fly sparge? If not, a single braid would have worked. I hope you receive this as constructive criticism.

Back