Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the gravity ready. Whoops it was higher than I thought

IMG_20160611_134757550.jpg

Turned out amazingly! Very happy! This is at 2 weeks after bottling. Still some residual champagne-iness from the yeast, but hoping that throwing this in a temp controlled environment at 45 ish will clear that up in another week or two. Excellent beer. I feel like the lb of Vienna I added gives just a hint of maltiness that is extremely pleasant. This is a 5.5% beer that drinks like a 3% BMC and has a ton more flavour. In hindsight, the corn and rice levels are perfect but the late hop addition needed to be increased. I will likely add 0.66 oz or a full oz next time.

This is after only a day in the fridge. I imagine it will clear more with more time. Wy2565

3hjeyeL.jpg

Finishing up the second of two kegs of the Cream of the Crops. My first time brewing this after 4 years of HomeBrewing. Gotta say it was overall great. I will cut back on the flaked corn a bit. OG came in a bit higher than I wanted at 1.056 (still dialing in new gear).

Next time I'll make it a session.

Very good, I got tons of compliments on this one. Saved a few bottles for contest entries later this summer.

Cheers.

View attachment 1466545536970.jpg

Any issues with subbing Pilsner malt for the 2 row? I've got some on hand that I need to use up.

Plan to brew this next Sunday using the recipe that was posted a few pages back. Sadly my lhbs is all out of Vienna, would Vienna goldpils be a ok sub? Going to also dry hop it with .5oz of citra

Some may remember my blackberry version of this (aka brewed this and fermented on blackberries lol) Just scored a 39 last weekend and brought me home a 2nd place medal!

Cream of three crops Centennial edition.

Okay, I'm getting old and the memory isn't what it used to be. Picked up some ingredients for this a few weeks back. Don't know why I grabbed Centennial instead of Crystal along with the Williamette. I assume because they both start with a C. :p

I love the flavor it added just replacing the Crystal and no other changes. IBU's only went to about 24 from a 14 on the original recipe, but this may be a good recipe for the new millenium. LOL :D

Some may remember my blackberry version of this (aka brewed this and fermented on blackberries lol) Just scored a 39 last weekend and brought me home a 2nd place medal!

Congrats on your success with this! I have been thinking about doing the black raspberry version of this (my folks have a giant black raspberry bush) ever since seeing your attempt a little while back and trying my own over some fresh raspberries.

Think I may do a 10 gal batch of the bone city version and fruit half of it.

Pages of pages and I still havent confirmed how citra plays in this. Thinking of .5oz in the last 10 mins with 1oz of galena at 60? Any input

Pages of pages and I still havent confirmed how citra plays in this. Thinking of .5oz in the last 10 mins with 1oz of galena at 60? Any input

Personally I used 0.33 oz of Galena @ 60 and the bitterness for me is perfect. Nice and clean without punching you in the face. I used 0.33oz of Citra @ 5 mins and it wasn't enough. I would honestly bump it to 0.5 - 1 oz to get more flavour from the citra to come through. That was for 5 gal batch.

Awesome! Was hoping you'd post back, your version is the one I think i'm gonna brew. I already have some instant rice, will look for instant grits at the store tomorrow. What yeast did you use? I'm thinking wy1056, so i can over build and keep some on hand. Also considering wy1318? I think is the number.

Awesome! Was hoping you'd post back, your version is the one I think i'm gonna brew. I already have some instant rice, will look for instant grits at the store tomorrow. What yeast did you use? I'm thinking wy1056, so i can over build and keep some on hand. Also considering wy1318? I think is the number.

I used WY2565 but any clean yeast will do. 1056 would be great. In hindsight, the Kolsch gave it almost a champagne-ish flavour which can be desirable depending on style. I think 1056 will be great.

I used WY2565 but any clean yeast will do. 1056 would be great. In hindsight, the Kolsch gave it almost a champagne-ish flavour which can be desirable depending on style. I think 1056 will be great.

Think I will go with 1056, that way I can over build a starter and keep some on hand. What would you suggest as a sub for vienna as my lhbs is out?

Think I will go with 1056, that way I can over build a starter and keep some on hand. What would you suggest as a sub for vienna as my lhbs is out?

Not a real 1:1 substitute by any means, but light munich or munich 10. Just use about 50% less, which would bring it down to only 0.5lbs.

fairly newbie here....so please be gentle with me :)

for the flaked corn and minute rice, I don't mill those right? just mill the 2 row, and combine and mash?

secondly, I see the original recipe is saying a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil, is everyone still following this? and is there a more updated/newer/better? version of the original some place in the 331 pages?

I'm looking to start a 5G batch tonight and tomorrow, so I'm just going to 1/2 the original recipe, that should work out ok right?

fairly newbie here....so please be gentle with me :)

for the flaked corn and minute rice, I don't mill those right? just mill the 2 row, and combine and mash?

secondly, I see the original recipe is saying a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil, is everyone still following this? and is there a more updated/newer/better? version of the original some place in the 331 pages?

I'm looking to start a 5G batch tonight and tomorrow, so I'm just going to 1/2 the original recipe, that should work out ok right?

Flaked corn and flaked rice can be just added to the mash no problem.

The original recipe is for 90/90. I did that with my batch. The 90 minute mash produces a very highly fermentable wort since the mash temp is lower. This produces a drier, crisper beer. The 90 minute boil isn't really necessary, especially if you've hit your target volume after only 60. It really depends on your equipment. For example, I boiled for 90 and only finished with 4.5 gallons. I should have just stopped at 60 mins. Still turned out to be a great beer.

For the grain bill, based on a lot of people's experience and even Biermunchers own advice, I ended up brewing something different slightly for the grain bill. I would do something akin to below for a 5.5 gal batch:

7 lbs Pale 2-row (Canadian)
1.5 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice
0.5lb Rice Hulls

Personally, I added a pound of vienna and subtracted a pound of two row, just to bump the malt profile a bit. Also, the lower corn and higher rice content balanced the beer out more I think. A lot of people throughout the pages (yes, I read them all) complained of 'corniness' in the finished beer without longer conditioning times. This seemed to fix that "issue"

Flaked corn and flaked rice can be just added to the mash no problem.

The original recipe is for 90/90. I did that with my batch. The 90 minute mash produces a very highly fermentable wort since the mash temp is lower. This produces a drier, crisper beer. The 90 minute boil isn't really necessary, especially if you've hit your target volume after only 60. It really depends on your equipment. For example, I boiled for 90 and only finished with 4.5 gallons. I should have just stopped at 60 mins. Still turned out to be a great beer.

For the grain bill, based on a lot of people's experience and even Biermunchers own advice, I ended up brewing something different slightly for the grain bill. I would do something akin to below for a 5.5 gal batch:

7 lbs Pale 2-row (Canadian)
1.5 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice
0.5lb Rice Hulls

Personally, I added a pound of vienna and subtracted a pound of two row, just to bump the malt profile a bit. Also, the lower corn and higher rice content balanced the beer out more I think. A lot of people throughout the pages (yes, I read them all) complained of 'corniness' in the finished beer without longer conditioning times. This seemed to fix that "issue"

thank you soo much for your reply!

I already have all my ingredients ordered based on just splitting the recipe, so I have everything that you mentioned in the new recipe, except, I was planning on hitting the grocery store for some minute rice...so I don't have the flaked rice...will that make much of a difference? or maybe the bulk barn has some flaked rice, maybe?

p.s. happy early Canada Day!!! :rockin::mug:
p.s.s. is that "Dust" in your signature a favorite brew of yours? or does that mean nothing? LOL

thank you soo much for your reply!

I already have all my ingredients ordered based on just splitting the recipe, so I have everything that you mentioned in the new recipe, except, I was planning on hitting the grocery store for some minute rice...so I don't have the flaked rice...will that make much of a difference? or maybe the bulk barn has some flaked rice, maybe?

p.s. happy early Canada Day!!! :rockin::mug:
p.s.s. is that "Dust" in your signature a favorite brew of yours? or does that mean nothing? LOL

Thanks! You too!

Minute rice can just be added right to the mash as well. It is already parboiled.

The 'dust' is a pretty common thing here. Just saying empty without being as boring or as lame as admitting it is actually empty :)

Kegged it.....first time brewing this recipe....first infected batch, I think...in 4 years of brewing....arrrrrrrrrgh. No more storing yeast slurry for me. Not worth the $5 savings for a ruined batch....now only hoping the same yeast slurry doesn't infect my IPA and Pale Ale I have fermenting. So lame.

Kegged it.....first time brewing this recipe....first infected batch, I think...in 4 years of brewing....arrrrrrrrrgh. No more storing yeast slurry for me. Not worth the $5 savings for a ruined batch....now only hoping the same yeast slurry doesn't infect my IPA and Pale Ale I have fermenting. So lame.

+1. Use fresh clean yeast.

So without reading the whole thread, is there a variation that has become more popular than the original recipe? or should I just brew the first batch using the OR

So without reading the whole thread, is there a variation that has become more popular than the original recipe? or should I just brew the first batch using the OR

Honestly I'd suggest brewing the original recipe and then go from there. You'll get a feel for if you want more malt, more mouthfeel etc.

I going to brew a 10 gallon batch and pitch a chico strain in 5 gallons. I am looking to do a different strain in the other 5 gallons. Any suggestions?

It turned out awesome. I can't believe it's an ale. Ended up using notty yeast. Fermented at 59. Starting gravity was 1.056 finished at 1.007. overshot gravity but it was awesome. Drank 10 gallons it 3 weeks

Continue to be amazed by how much this beer clears in the bottle. I am sure if I had crashed with gelatin it would have been this clear in bottle #1, but still.

l0vmX2c.jpg

Just tapped my first keg (of my second try at 10 gallons of this).
I pretty much stuck to the recipe, including the full amount of corn, but I added 1.5 lbs of Vienna, used German Perle hops to the letter, and fermented with US-05 for 2.5 weeks in primary, then directly to the keg.
It has only been on gas/gelatin for 3 days but is already cleared up very nicely and tastes way better than my first 10 gallon batch of this, which was too corny(?), and not as clean. I should add that on my first attempt, I added clarity ferm at fermentation, so that could have an effect(?).

Made this last October, just getting to posting. My color was considerably lighter than others and expected, I'll back off some rice the next I brew this. Very BMC'ish, light, easy drinking and really should make more for this long Texas summer. Cheers.

CreamofThreeCrops.jpg

Haven't brewed anything in months because I somehow forgot how to calculate water volumes and made 3 bad batches of what was supposed to be beer and was more like flavored water...

I now have recently became interested in trying again and have some family coming from out of town on August 20th so I may be trying to rush and get a batch done for their arrival

I keg so I have enough time to possibly try again if the first attempt doesn't pan out

I have a two tap kegerator I built and haven't even used yet except to store venison in the freezer side and I may try to do a second batch of co3c with habanero and mango...has anyone tried this

Here's a few pics of the latest batch with the 1.5 lbs of Viennna added. As you can tell, although still very light, It has a slight golden hue compared to most examples on here.
Very nice refreshing beer.
I think the 1.5 lbs of Vienna helped to balance the flavor of the corn, which I found a little cloying, with a little extra malt.
The Perle hops really worked, being low alpha, and provided a little German pilsner backbone.
I think I will be experimenting with this beer further to come up with some pseudo lagers. Thanks Biermuncher.

Back