Cream Ale... yeast substitution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefDougAU

Reaction score
Our local club has a group brew tomorrow. I have assembled ingredients for a cream ale that I have previously brewed and like a lot. It used WLP029... LHBS provided WLP029 that is DEAD... two days in the starter on the stir plate and no activity. My question is... should I sub WLP007 or WLP051... I have both on hand and they are very fresh. OR... should I brew and chill my wort and wait to pitch when I get more 029... probably midweek?

Do you have 001 or US 05 available? I'm sure the two you listed would make good beer just not as crisp as you want in a cream ale. Mash low and ferment 001 around 60 if you have it

1007, 1335, 1056(001, us-05 etc) would be better options. 007 and 051 will throw more esters. But if you are ok, with that, go ahead. Generally, id want to pitch immediately, so id go with what you got.

1007, 1335, 1056(001, us-05 etc) would be better options. 007 and 051 will throw more esters. But if you are ok, with that, go ahead. Generally, id want to pitch immediately, so id go with what you got.

I agree with all of that especially the pitch sooner rather than later part

I use US-05 for my cream ale and love it! I need to probably venture out some and try some different yeasts with other flavor profiles.

I decided to use the 051 after speaking to another club member who teaches in the University's brewing science program. He advised that the 051 would not be quite as crisp but would finish very dry... I can live with that.

This particular recipe is very close to Spotted Cow, of which I am a fan. We'll see what happens with the new yeast. Thanks fellas... wish me luck!

Spotted Cow is a solid beer. Really wish they would distribute here... Same you are out of the 029, Im guzzling down the last of my Cream Ale brewed with Kolsch yeast. Washed 4 jars from it though. I always used 05 in the past but wanted to experiment with diff yeasts so I used Kolsch and Cali Lager and loved how both turned out.

Back